GPS removal

350Z
Smile

GPS removal

Post by Smile » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering how hard is it to remove the GPS from a Japanese import zed, instead of having it sit there wasting space.

Has anyone done this? Also what have you put in its place (another GPS probably)?

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Cant you just get it reprogrammed for NZ maps?
The one I test drove had the local GPS showing on what appeared to be a factory unit.

Smile

Post by Smile » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Oh really? That would be even better...
However everyone ive talked to say that you cant do that :S?

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey Smile, did you end up finding a 350 then???

ZILVER wrote:Cant you just get it reprogrammed for NZ maps?
The one I test drove had the local GPS showing on what appeared to be a factory unit.
No unfortunately you can't. Many have tried, both here and overseas.

How long ago was that Zilver?? Is possible it was a special one for demo'ing. When I purchased my 350, way back in 2004, it certainly wasn't an option that was available.

If you pm, RichiZ on here, I'm pretty sure he's still selling GPS units for them. No idea what they are like, as I have sighted one.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Smile

Post by Smile » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Hey mate, still in the process haha.

It is definitely something to consider with the japanese imports

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Smile wrote:Hey mate, still in the process haha.

It is definitely something to consider with the japanese imports
It's worth taking time to find a good one. 8) Some of the Jap ones may need a band expander or new radio too. :wink:

Also with the Jap imports the speed is limited, unless the particular one you get hold of has been de-restricted. NZ new's aren't limited.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I guess the one I drove wasnt a Jap import. I remember it did have english on the GPS console buttons and dial (whereas Jap imports wouldn't?)

Smile

Post by Smile » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Wow... To what speed?

Danthedragon

Post by Danthedragon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Smile wrote:Wow... To what speed?
Mines Jap import and I cant get any faster than 188kmph, I wouldnt mind taking off the limiter but I have no idea what that would to to my insurance haha

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:07 am

^^^ wouldnt affect your insurance to just get a speed limit removal but would require a tune which can be expensive..
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:18 am

I have a Jap import too and I have been thinking about using the display with a reversing camera. I have all the wiring diagrams and it looks quite feasible. I wondered if anyone had alread done this? Save me some work!
Its easy enough to remove the nav unit and its possible to get a little box that fits in the space instead.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Plenty of conversion prices around now for NZ Software and Maps etc. getting cheaper every day. Hardware conversion a little more expensive but all doable.

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Andy wrote:Plenty of conversion prices around now for NZ Software and Maps etc. getting cheaper every day. Hardware conversion a little more expensive but all doable.
Care to expand upon that? Who does conversions?

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:08 am

harlequin2 wrote:
Andy wrote:Plenty of conversion prices around now for NZ Software and Maps etc. getting cheaper every day. Hardware conversion a little more expensive but all doable.
Check Trademe Services, its brimming with brand specific ads for GPS conversion.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:20 am

Andy wrote:
harlequin2 wrote:
Check Trademe Services, its brimming with brand specific ads for GPS conversion.
this is true, untill you say Z33 to them.