Up hill battle

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm

So you replaced points with Pertronic ignitor module. Follow the instructions supplied. I have done this mod before. Easy peasey, but I have always tuned my own vehicles. Manual says 17 degres @ 650 RPM for timing. Easy to check with standard timing light. Follow instructions supplied. Using the incorrect coil with your setup may cause an issue, there are different types. If the coil needs no ballast resistor (bypass it), if coil uses ballast resistor make sure ignitor is supplied with 12V from ignition and not fed after resistor. Fig 2 and 3 on instructions shows this.
All Nissans are racecars.

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:32 pm

i have followed all instructions properly and i think its justa matter of getting my timing right. just bought a timing light to do so ill give it my best shot at fixing it.

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Ok so I have played with the timing and I have power when I put my foot down . . . . But it's only reving up to about 4000rpm before stuttering and cutting out . I'm thinking I need to advance the time some more?? Sorry but this must be painfull to hear especially the guys that have done this a million times. I've never done it before and I thought I would give it a go before driving her into a shop and paying someone else to do a job that I should be able to figure out . Never the less its a good feeling to work on my own car and I get a lot out of it with the little progress I do make.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Have you fiddled with the carbs?
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm

us2 wrote:Have you fiddled with the carbs?
I leaned them out a little while ago when it was runing super rich.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Richen them half a turn and test drive it.
!972 240z

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 pm

us2 wrote:Richen them half a turn and test drive it.
ill do it tomorrow and see how she goes

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi
You may be chasing more than one problem. As long as you have some initial advance at idle (Ie as stated around 14 Deg) you should be fine. Then at 4000Rpm you should have in excess of 28 deg you will be fine. The stuttering is not timimg ! it is something else ! Leads, plugs, Cap, Fuel there is no easy answer on a forum. Everything needs to be checked to ensure it is good condition. Dont just go randomly swapping stuff ! Be methodical in your approach. Proof everything. I can almost guarauntee this will be something really stupid !

B101

Post by B101 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm

us2 wrote:Richen them half a turn and test drive it.
Just gave it a go and nothing happend. Checked the HT leads LT wires and they are fine, spark plugs are good. It runs good until 4-5000rpm at idle or driving around and wont rev past that rpm. Think ill put the points back in tomorrow and see if it fixes it.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:47 am

Hi once again i dont know anything about Petronix but i assume from the comment that you "will put the points back in" that it may be an optical or reluctor style ignition with a chopper disc. If so this reminds me of a problem i had years ago.
Check the instructions again. Does it trigger on the leading edge of the chopper blade ? Check the polarity of optical sender. I had a similar problem with converted 280ZX electronic distributors firing MSD ignitions. The wiring colours were the same on all the distributors i had but the polarity was different. This led to one triggering on the leading edge (correct) and another Dizzy trying to trigger on the trailing edge. Very similar symptoms. Most difficult to find in the pit lane. Assume nothing, Datsun wiring diagram wrong. Our own diagrams were right (yes i am an A type i have wiring diagrams for my rewired car) for one distributor (as wired ) wrong for the other.

disruptiv

Post by disruptiv » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am

can you take a pic with the cap on and a pic with the cap off, what ignition module are you running?

B101

Post by B101 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:03 pm

disruptiv wrote:can you take a pic with the cap on and a pic with the cap off, what ignition module are you running?
Ill take some photos today and put them up.
I wouldn't know sorry.

merlin

Post by merlin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Hooray fixed my Pertronix problem!!
Tools and instructions are as follows
1 Screw driver
2 Hammer
3 Anvil
4 Big bladder of urine and a good strong right arm

Instructions for hassle free running
1 Remove the dizzy cap
2 Remove the round rotor and place on anvil
3 Remove the Pertronix electronic uint and place next to the rotor
4 With your strongest arm and hammer in hand, smash the 2 pieces on the anvil till unregognisable then piss and spit (optional) on the remains.
5 Pick up the remains with a rubber gloved hand (If you are a princess) and throw as far away as possible. Your factor of stress should be at a low level buy this stage.
6 Install a new condenser and set of points adjust timing and go for a drive!!

May I NEVER befoul my car again by using such a rubbish product.

B101

Post by B101 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:12 pm

merlin wrote:Hooray fixed my Pertronix problem!!
Tools and instructions are as follows
1 Screw driver
2 Hammer
3 Anvil
4 Big bladder of urine and a good strong right arm

Instructions for hassle free running
1 Remove the dizzy cap
2 Remove the round rotor and place on anvil
3 Remove the Pertronix electronic uint and place next to the rotor
4 With your strongest arm and hammer in hand, smash the 2 pieces on the anvil till unregognisable then piss and spit (optional) on the remains.
5 Pick up the remains with a rubber gloved hand (If you are a princess) and throw as far away as possible. Your factor of stress should be at a low level buy this stage.
6 Install a new condenser and set of points adjust timing and go for a drive!!

May I NEVER befoul my car again by using such a rubbish product.
Haha its getting to that stage trust me.
Where did you pick up your new condenser and points?

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Thats bloody priceless Brian. :lol: :lol: I'm pleased you have it running again.
!972 240z