Race Gas and Performance

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Baker93
Z Club Member

Race Gas and Performance

Post by Baker93 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi All

I thought you may be interested in an experiment i conducted this afternoon. Due to a shortage of pump 91, 95 or 98 octane gas in the Baker household i decided i would run my lawn mower on race gas. I can report the following findings.
Absolutely no noticable difference in power, responsiveness, or economy.
Whilst no accurate back to back lap times were taken the overall lawn mowing time remained unchanged ! This leads me to believe that there is no improvement in pushability ! Prehaps i need to get the mower (or driver) dyno tuned to optimise the overall performance.

Cheers Ant

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:38 pm

You need to try again adding the Octane booster Lion Rouge to the pusher...........
72 240z plus bits

ForemanNZ

Post by ForemanNZ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:47 pm

AKA ZFETSH
Now armed with a Z32 2+0 NA

Jibber

Post by Jibber » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 pm

nustad wrote:You need to try again adding the Octane booster Lion Rouge to the pusher...........
Maybe testing different "Octane Boosters" would be worthwhile too, always served ice cold!

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:05 pm

I thought I recognised that dyno room and operator. Those Dynopower boys are a bit loose, posting that on Youtube.

Did you see the number of hits that video had, almost 1/2 a million.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Yep where else would you find some boys playing with a Rota and a lawn mower but right here in God's own.

SMZ

Post by SMZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 am

I think you need to try again on my lawn!

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:04 am

Baker93 wrote:Hi All

I thought you may be interested in an experiment i conducted this afternoon. Due to a shortage of pump 91, 95 or 98 octane gas in the Baker household i decided i would run my lawn mower on race gas. I can report the following findings.
Whilst no accurate back to back lap times were taken the overall lawn mowing time remained unchanged ! This leads me to believe that there is no improvement in pushability ! Prehaps i need to get the mower (or driver) dyno tuned to optimise the overall performance.

Cheers Ant
I just love these scientific comparisons, what would we do without you?

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Have you tried lap times using a NOS kit on the mower (or the operator, for that matter)?

djz

Post by djz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:15 pm

I think advancing the timing would help, you could install a wideband 02 and adjust the mixture too?
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

limezed

Post by limezed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Try running the mower drive mechanism on a bio-ethanol. Maybe a potato based one......... vodka perhaps!

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Na just install a flux capacitor 88mph Marty...

kiwi303

Post by kiwi303 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

kirihi wrote:Have you tried lap times using a NOS kit on the mower (or the operator, for that matter)?
Just get the right NOS in the right motor! don't do a Gixxer!

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:43 pm

mikec(nz) wrote:I thought I recognised that dyno room and operator. Those Dynopower boys are a bit loose, posting that on Youtube.

Did you see the number of hits that video had, almost 1/2 a million.
Yeah, Birch ave roundabout. I've seen many cars drift that when I'm down at NZ Couriers on a Sunday.
All Nissans are racecars.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Baker93 wrote:Hi All

Cheers Ant
A friend of mine had the same issue with lack of petrol handy so thought why not Vodca, it burns. Mower was ruined I heard from his misses.
All Nissans are racecars.