350Z Adjustable Suspension

350Z
Taryon

350Z Adjustable Suspension

Post by Taryon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Before I pull the trigger on some adjustable suspension on trademe, wondering if anyone have any recommendations for other value-priced quality adjustable suspension?

There's a set of them for like 800 on trademe at the moment but it looks kinda dodgy.
I know it's you get what you pay for, but just widening my horizon :)
Cheers

maukuzed

Post by maukuzed » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 am

HI taryon , I have a set of Tein Super Street Adjustables fitted to my Z33 . They were very easy to fit and set up , and cost me just over $1300 from Autolign nz . They do tend to make the car a little more "bouncy " than stock but apart from this they ride pretty well depending on how firm they are set . I think the max they will lower your car is 40mm , i dropped mine 15mm front and 35 mm rear , this does not affect the front camber greatly but the rear is more pronounced. You can get aftermarket camber/toe arms but the quality is not the best.I have only done around 5k miles with this set up with no problems apart from less road clearance here and there but not terrible. I have been told that tein suspension is not rebuildable , not sure about others out there . If you have plenty of $$ and want the best i recommend Bilstiens .

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:00 am

Taryon wrote:Before I pull the trigger on some adjustable suspension on trademe, wondering if anyone have any recommendations for other value-priced quality adjustable suspension?

There's a set of them for like 800 on trademe at the moment but it looks kinda dodgy.
I know it's you get what you pay for, but just widening my horizon :)
What brand & model are they? Personally if I were you I'd hold on and get the best you can. It's pretty important to get it right.

maukuzed wrote:HI taryon , I have a set of Tein Super Street Adjustables fitted to my Z33 . They were very easy to fit and set up , and cost me just over $1300 from Autolign nz . They do tend to make the car a little more "bouncy " than stock but apart from this they ride pretty well depending on how firm they are set . I think the max they will lower your car is 40mm , i dropped mine 15mm front and 35 mm rear , this does not affect the front camber greatly but the rear is more pronounced. You can get aftermarket camber/toe arms but the quality is not the best.I have only done around 5k miles with this set up with no problems apart from less road clearance here and there but not terrible. I have been told that tein suspension is not rebuildable , not sure about others out there.
If you don't have the EDFC setup to go with it, the back is a pain to adjust, unless like some who've cut tiny little holes in the back strut plastic to get access to the back adjustment. Otherwise good system, apart from the shocks not being rebuildable as other brands are as Mauku comments. Only a problem if you blow one.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:54 am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 724155.htm
= JUNK

BC Gold coilovers for $1400 are a better bet.

Dont forget you'll need to fully equip the car with adjustable arms if lowering it. The whole will need certification too. not a cheap endeavour so you may as well buy the best to begin with and get it right first time.

Buster

Post by Buster » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 am

I've got the BC Racing ones on mine. They are considered cheap and probably not very good by those people that really know about suspension. However I find them fine for the way I use the car and all I am comparing them to is the 07-08 stock suspension on the car when I got it new at the start of 09. I did about 13,000km on the stock setup and have done a further 12,000km since then.

On the stock suspension the rear looked stupidly high. I know it is supposed to be higher than the front but really!
Drivers side of the car was also about a cm lower than the passenger side which irritated the hell out of me.
The stock setup is actually pretty harsh for most of travelling I do in the car - but hey - it's a sports car.

Because changes I had in mind were going to require a cert I did them in fairly quick succession, then got the cert. Next wof at VTNZ they were all happy.

At the front I have dropped about 15mm I think and installed upper control arms (Kinetix). Allows you to put the camber exactly where you want it. No caster adjustment. You pay the big bucks for good ones that do that.

At the rear the BC Racing suspension still uses the oem layout ie. spring is still mounted sepatately in the spring bucket as the Nissan engineers intended. I dropped the rear about 25mm. I got quite a bit of rear toe in and -ve camber when I did this. I still get enough camber and toe adjustment using the stock eccentric bolt setup. I'm maxed out on the camber adjustment and got it back to -1.7° each side. Good enough for me. I don't bother adjusting the rear for track days and the eccentric bolts are still holding after two years.

I got the extenders with my BCs for adjusting the rear. I just take the black plastic covers off the strut brace and twiddle with the knobs. I run the suspension pretty much full soft for normal road use (much better) and firm them up on track day.

I did stainless steel brake lines at the same time, bit racier pads (less dust) and high temp fluid. The stock Brembo pads (great for normal road use) are pretty dusty and you get through them quick on the track.

I've had a go at corner balancing, seeing I have the adjustables, and got the diagonals to within a few kgs of each other. Levelled the car up side to side as well. Mucked around with adjustable sway bar endlinks during this process but in the end didn't really need them so stayed with the stock ones instead.

I use two sets of stock rims (for road and track) so am running bolt on spacers too (certified). I know, decent offset wheels would be better and I could go wider too.

The thing is - even with all my little tweeks and changes the standard 350z setup is pretty good on the track if you can also tolerate it on the road, and any of the more experienced track drivers in our club in a bog standard 350z will make me look stupid out there.

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57 am

maukuzed wrote:HI taryon , I have a set of Tein Super Street Adjustables fitted to my Z33 . They were very easy to fit and set up , and cost me just over $1300 from Autolign nz . They do tend to make the car a little more "bouncy " than stock but apart from this they ride pretty well depending on how firm they are set . I think the max they will lower your car is 40mm , i dropped mine 15mm front and 35 mm rear , this does not affect the front camber greatly but the rear is more pronounced. You can get aftermarket camber/toe arms but the quality is not the best.I have only done around 5k miles with this set up with no problems apart from less road clearance here and there but not terrible. I have been told that tein suspension is not rebuildable , not sure about others out there . If you have plenty of $$ and want the best i recommend Bilstiens .
I would love to get the Tein ones as I had them on my old car before so I'll take a look into that thanks! I'm also keen on more of a moderate drop and not extreme low :)
BRONZEE wrote: What brand & model are they? Personally if I were you I'd hold on and get the best you can. It's pretty important to get it right.

If you don't have the EDFC setup to go with it, the back is a pain to adjust, unless like some who've cut tiny little holes in the back strut plastic to get access to the back adjustment. Otherwise good system, apart from the shocks not being rebuildable as other brands are as Mauku comments. Only a problem if you blow one.
I'm looking at the BC Golds, YellowSpeed, and the STD coilovers in that order :)
ZILVER wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 724155.htm
= JUNK

BC Gold coilovers for $1400 are a better bet.

Dont forget you'll need to fully equip the car with adjustable arms if lowering it. The whole will need certification too. not a cheap endeavour so you may as well buy the best to begin with and get it right first time.
Yeah thought those looked really bad. Yeap taking a look at the BC golds as well, and yes the whole thing will be quite expensive so might as well get the good stuff. Thanks for that!
Buster wrote:I've got the BC Racing ones on mine. They are considered cheap and probably not very good by those people that really know about suspension. However I find them fine for the way I use the car and all I am comparing them to is the 07-08 stock suspension on the car when I got it new at the start of 09. I did about 13,000km on the stock setup and have done a further 12,000km since then.

On the stock suspension the rear looked stupidly high. I know it is supposed to be higher than the front but really!
Drivers side of the car was also about a cm lower than the passenger side which irritated the hell out of me.
The stock setup is actually pretty harsh for most of travelling I do in the car - but hey - it's a sports car.

Because changes I had in mind were going to require a cert I did them in fairly quick succession, then got the cert. Next wof at VTNZ they were all happy.

At the front I have dropped about 15mm I think and installed upper control arms (Kinetix). Allows you to put the camber exactly where you want it. No caster adjustment. You pay the big bucks for good ones that do that.

At the rear the BC Racing suspension still uses the oem layout ie. spring is still mounted sepatately in the spring bucket as the Nissan engineers intended. I dropped the rear about 25mm. I got quite a bit of rear toe in and -ve camber when I did this. I still get enough camber and toe adjustment using the stock eccentric bolt setup. I'm maxed out on the camber adjustment and got it back to -1.7° each side. Good enough for me. I don't bother adjusting the rear for track days and the eccentric bolts are still holding after two years.

I got the extenders with my BCs for adjusting the rear. I just take the black plastic covers off the strut brace and twiddle with the knobs. I run the suspension pretty much full soft for normal road use (much better) and firm them up on track day.

I did stainless steel brake lines at the same time, bit racier pads (less dust) and high temp fluid. The stock Brembo pads (great for normal road use) are pretty dusty and you get through them quick on the track.

I've had a go at corner balancing, seeing I have the adjustables, and got the diagonals to within a few kgs of each other. Levelled the car up side to side as well. Mucked around with adjustable sway bar endlinks during this process but in the end didn't really need them so stayed with the stock ones instead.

I use two sets of stock rims (for road and track) so am running bolt on spacers too (certified). I know, decent offset wheels would be better and I could go wider too.

The thing is - even with all my little tweeks and changes the standard 350z setup is pretty good on the track if you can also tolerate it on the road, and any of the more experienced track drivers in our club in a bog standard 350z will make me look stupid out there.
That's what I've been noticing as well, a pretty high rear haha. Comfort really isn't an issue for me as the stock suspension is quite hard already I don't think it will be a big difference :) These BC ones seem pretty good from your feedback, would you mind telling me how much the rear extenders cost? And also did you get this from trademe or elsewhere?

I've just got a set of 18x10s with 285s and I absolutely love track days so I thought I might buy some suspension goodies :) Thanks for all the feedback!

Buster

Post by Buster » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:20 pm

That's what I've been noticing as well, a pretty high rear haha. Comfort really isn't an issue for me as the stock suspension is quite hard already I don't think it will be a big difference :) These BC ones seem pretty good from your feedback, would you mind telling me how much the rear extenders cost? And also did you get this from trademe or elsewhere?

I've just got a set of 18x10s with 285s and I absolutely love track days so I thought I might buy some suspension goodies :) Thanks for all the feedback!
At the time I paid $1495 including the rear extenders out of Auckland to my door (Hamilton). Not Trademe. Depending on age/mileage what you have now might just be worn out.

All the different manufacturers seem to use different spring rates.
Stock from 2004.5 on use 5.6kg/mm front and 7.5kg/mm rear - I think. Nissan designed a nice safe understeer into the car.
I chose BCs standard length springs in a 10kg/mm front and 8kg/mm rear flavour. I think they offer a 12/10 option too, and I know they offer shorter springs if you want a reallllly slammed look. Tein have options from 7 right up to 16kg/mm.

I wouldn't rush in to anything. Someone on here who really knows about suspension may advise on a shock\spring combo that would be better, maybe even cheaper, depending on your planned use and what you think the current shortfalls are. Might not need a cert - more saving.

For anyone just wanting a very mild downward adjustment at the rear there is a spring 'mount' mod you can do that is cheap and easy.

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Buster wrote:

At the time I paid $1495 including the rear extenders out of Auckland to my door (Hamilton). Not Trademe. Depending on age/mileage what you have now might just be worn out.

All the different manufacturers seem to use different spring rates.
Stock from 2004.5 on use 5.6kg/mm front and 7.5kg/mm rear - I think. Nissan designed a nice safe understeer into the car.
I chose BCs standard length springs in a 10kg/mm front and 8kg/mm rear flavour. I think they offer a 12/10 option too, and I know they offer shorter springs if you want a reallllly slammed look. Tein have options from 7 right up to 16kg/mm.

I wouldn't rush in to anything. Someone on here who really knows about suspension may advise on a shock\spring combo that would be better, maybe even cheaper, depending on your planned use and what you think the current shortfalls are. Might not need a cert - more saving.

For anyone just wanting a very mild downward adjustment at the rear there is a spring 'mount' mod you can do that is cheap and easy.
Ah thank you for that, my car is just reaching 99,000 so there could be some worn components that can be changed.
I'm not too keen on a slammed lock haha so I'll be fine with just standard spring rates.
Yeap I plan to take my time on this now haha, impatience tends to not end well.
A shock and spring combo would actually be good, I just thought it would be better as coilovers since I'm already spending money might as well spend the extra.
My planned uses are just the occasional track day and a tad bit lower car :)
I've also heard about the spring mount mod but haven't really looked into it but I will now, thank you!

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 pm

As your mileage the creeping up to the 100k mark, things like bushes may need attention too.

Out of the box the older model 350's had a ride height of 108mm. Taking into account slump with age, if any lower with new suspension set up may mean driveways, judder bars, or badly corrugated roads etc become a nightmare.
Next - Z Club events:

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:59 pm

BRONZEE wrote:As your mileage the creeping up to the 100k mark, things like bushes may need attention too.

Out of the box the older model 350's had a ride height of 108mm. Taking into account slump with age, if any lower with new suspension set up may mean driveways, judder bars, or badly corrugated roads etc become a nightmare.
yeah there are many squeeks and creeks in my car at the moment haha so might have to get everything replaced :)
Once it goes past 100,000, it will devalue but thats okay I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time :)
I'm also aware that the car will scratch heeps :( The other day I was driving in front of a mall and my bumper fully kissed the speed hump and everyone looked :oops:

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Drive over judder bars on an angle. :wink:
Next - Z Club events:

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 pm

BRONZEE wrote:Drive over judder bars on an angle. :wink:
Have to nowadays haha, that previous one was because I wasn't paying attention :(

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Thu May 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Somehow I ended up with HKS Hipermax LS+ suspension and about to purchase some control arms now :D . Would anyone recommend an LVV Certifier in Auckland?

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Fri May 03, 2013 10:15 am

I'd recommend the closest one to you. They simply check to see if it meets standards, photo them, test and give you are cert plate for the coilovers.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 am

It's been a while since I last certed my Z, so don't know if the guy is still around or not.
Next - Z Club events: