2009 370z

370Z
wld350

Post by wld350 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am

Have you tried filling the tyres with Nitrogen instead of air?
Nitrogen does not conduct much sound compared to air, therefore quieter running. Nitrogen injected foams are used extensively where sound reduction is required. The results however will not be the same for all tyres as different munufactures use different componds. If you find there is a lot of road noise from the tyres you have on your car nitrogen is worth a try for this alone.

Also improves fuel efficiency :)

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:28 am

us2 wrote:With the tyre noise thing.
It's probably lack of sound deadening material, which has been omitted from your 350's and 370's to bring back
the feel of the roots of these cars AKA 240Z. Or it could be cost cutting, as in the 240Z.
I have driven a 350 on rough chip seal, and the tyre noise is similar to our 240.
The noise factor can be greatly improved, in a 240 anyway, with the addition of modern sound deadening material, or luggage placed
in the hatch and pillows stuffed behind the seats . I don't find the noise too intrusive, as a certain ammount of industrial
deafness, in my case. is an advantage. :lol:
Previous owner added sound deadening material to our 350; he reckons it made a big difference, but she's still noisy on coarse chip roads (of which we have many, down here). Still, a small price to pay for a whole lotta fun! And, if you're cruising the open road, nothing a decent stereo can't overcome! :-)

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:32 am

kirihi wrote:
It's probably lack of sound deadening material, which has been omitted from your 350's and 370's to bring back
the feel of the roots of these cars AKA 240Z. Or it could be cost cutting, as in the 240Z.
I have driven a 350 on rough chip seal, and the tyre noise is similar to our 240.
The noise factor can be greatly improved, in a 240 anyway, with the addition of modern sound deadening material, or luggage placed
in the hatch and pillows stuffed behind the seats . I don't find the noise too intrusive, as a certain ammount of industrial
And, if you're cruising the open road, nothing a decent stereo can't overcome! :-)
Thats the one. 8)
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:57 am

This is true Brian.

The boot area of a 350z is all very metallic and the supplied boot floor liner is very light weight.
At some point I will do something with mine to quieten it down some.
Our 2007 Skyline 350GT (VQ35HR) has a interesting sort of furry material lining the rear wheel arches under the car. The front just has the normal plastic liners. Anyway along with the rear seat and other sound proofing it is fairly quiet.

Last week on Targa I took the car over Mairoa Road ...... Pomarangai Road west of Piopio (a real goat track), and also Ahititi to Ohura (I've been on this road twice before and knew it was rubbish and to be avoided - but what do I know). Anyway the Skyline was impressivly quiet on the metal roads and the wierd furry rear wheel arch lining washed up real well afterwards too.
Last edited by Buster on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:32 pm

This is good stuff I have been told.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2g&cad=rja
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 pm

in the hatch and pillows stuffed behind the seats .
Lol, I sound like a broken record, :lol: but tyres make a huge difference to the road noise transference. :D Having had 5 sets of tyres on my baby you find out along the way and having driven 26 other 350's. 8)

The fairly thin sound deadening in the back is down to the bean counters and also a weight saving.

Buster wrote:The boot area of a 350z is all very metallic and the supplied boot floor liner is very light weight.
At some point I will do something with mine to quieten it down some.
Our 2007 Skyline 350GT (VQ35HR) has a interesting sort of furry material lining the rear wheel arches under the car. The front just has the normal plastic liners. Anyway along with the rear seat and other sound proofing it is fairly quiet.

Last week on Targa I took the car over Mairoa Road ...... Pomarangai Road west of Piopio (a real goat track), and also Ahititi to Ohura (I've been on this raod twice before and new it was rubbish and to be avoided - but what do I know). Anyway the Skyline was impressivly quiet on the metal roads and the wierd furry rear wheel arch lining washed up real well afterwards too.
With the NZ new 350's at least there were two options with the carpets in the boot area. The thinner stuff that reassembles carpet tiles which came stock as you commented on. There is also a "super plush" carpet option, and the accompanying price with it. :shock:
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Swwnz

Post by Swwnz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:29 pm

BRONZEE wrote:
pauln wrote:So the S2000 was quicker than the 370z thats interesting .
370z would we well up on torque though. :D
Ah! NO the 370z was as good as the S2000 on turn in response,which was what we were comparing,on this run we were looking at the dynamics of the cars.
The 370z main " problem" is its bulk one has to work very hard to keep it in line,although of course it's is going quicker.
Another observation on the 370 is the rear shocks can get themselves out of sorts especially on our crap road surfaces here in NZ,Nissan seem to have recognized this as the year 2013 model is getting uprated rear shock absorbers.

BlueZ
Z Club Member

Post by BlueZ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:46 am

Running Ventus V12 Hankooks. Just been up to New Plymouth and back over 2 days - easy crusin. Some road noise but not uncomfortable and nothing some good music won't overcome.

Swwnz

Post by Swwnz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi All,
How's that for a coincidence, "BlueZ"' has also fitted Hankooks,anyway as promised here is my report on the tyres.
Have just done a run from Alex to Mt Cook and back 470kms,also my car is a roadster not a coupe so obviously a different body sound board.
Also nothing scientific in this just my own views.
Strangely it was not the road noise that I noticed first,but the compliance of the tyres,the Bridgestones always seemed to bang over the road imperfections and seemed harsh, this is not the case with the Hankooks,it's almost as if the car has tyres of a taller section on it so seems to ride better,didn't push the car too hard especially with fresh tyres on but did not notice any difference in grip,and we had both dry and very wet roads.
As to noise I would have to say they are better than the Bridgestones, but to what degree I cannot say except that at 100 kms my wife and I did not have to raise our voices as we had to do the week before on the same stretch of road,also the big tick came when she said that it was less noisy in the car,I know that's not scientific but when your wife notices its got to mean something !!.
I like them and for the money I think good value.
Cost me fitted on the car $ 1284.00 here in Alex(at the end of the world)