Shift light, Rev Limiter, ??

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
chris'ntrish

Shift light, Rev Limiter, ??

Post by chris'ntrish » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:23 am

Having years ago, when young and stupid, 'put a leg out of bed' with my earlier 240 motor, I have more respect and concern for my current motor. being older and less sharp, I'd like the marginal security of some technical aids here. Any thoughts on suitable, available equipment appreciated.

Current thoughts:
1) Shift light on a modern, larger more visible Tach.
2) Rev limiter which may assist when the frailty of age, slower reaction speed and diminishing grey cells kicks in

Anyone?

Cheers

Chris Poland

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Both :) seriously get a good shift light, does not have to be connected to a fancy tach, just one that when you set to 6500 or 7500rpm it is actually 6500 or 7500rpm etc have a tach too look at??? Who's got time for that on the track just bright lights tell you to start moving the cogs. Do you plan to have a msd or some other box for sharp spark? Most will do the rev limiting so do that too. None of this will help when you select 3rd when looking for 5th and the wheels drive then engine for a big over rev oops.

Cheers
Mike

chris'ntrish

Post by chris'ntrish » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks Ricky and Mike ...great minds think alike obviously; nice to have gurus to quiz. I guess like most old codgers, we were so primitive with slow revving V8s and tiny fours that when we actually got a car with a tach, having treated the speedo like one for years, we became seduced by having some technical clue about what the engine was up to. Sadly, I'm not one to trust the 240 one which is a bit 'bouncy' at best; or occasionally, like my fuel gauge, zones out altogether.. I think some magic 'diode' spat the dummy years ago, and while I got it to go again, it's not to be believed... hence the thought of something sadly nasty, large but at least accurate.

Thanks for the input guys. I may message you as the process continues.. given some time without grandchildren or students deciding to spend their holidays on crime sprees.

Cheers

Chris

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 pm

The other thing worth considering if you are going to do any form of racing is an Oil Accumulator like an Accusump (Moroso do one too) - a cheaper form of dry sumping and then you are never likely to suffer from oil surge.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:10 am

The rev limiter is the answer you can buy just a "soft touch"rev limiter from MSD that worked really well, need a different chip for different limits, I used to have one on the car but now use the one that comes with the ignition box which uses a a rotary switch to sdjust. Shift lights are good but often ignored in the heat of battle if you're racing.

disruptiv

Post by disruptiv » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 am

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 am

Yup, excellent solution and no sudden shut off at rev limit. Fool proof if set up correctly. Although at that price you could buy the entire MSD or Mallory ignition box

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:41 am

I'm actually running this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mallory-6853M-H ... 20cb800dfa which includes the rev limiter.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi

I use a VDO Top Eliminator rev counter with built in shift light. The VDO Instrument was one of the most accurate we found during bench testing of many top brands tested at the time. (admittidley 10 years ago). If my notes are correct the the 3 VDOs we had were all within 50RPM of the actual test RPM at 7500RPM. In terms of accuracy some of the big name Tachos were shockers ! but the worst of all was the standard Z instrument. As noted in your post these tell huge porkies ! and of most concern read low ! ( Usually by a lot ) Bonus with the VDO is that the gauge is black in colour and fits nicely in the standard Z dash. The particular model i have has included in the digital rev limit display a play/call/back function of about 3 mins. This also plays back on the analogue needle. This is a waste of time. There is also a peak recall function. This can be usefull so that you know how many revs your toy did before it fell apart !
This wasnt particularily cheap at the time but has served me well. I believe there was a cheaper version (same accurate instrumentation) without the recall crap. I think it was called the Pro Eliminator.
As for rev limiters, just get a complete ignition MSD or similar with built in rev limiter and a 280Z dizzy you wont regret it. Many of us have run this setup over the years. Im sure someone will Chime in with dizzy model and details ( Mike ? )
I have just had a rumage around in my garage. A have 1 x VDO Pro Eliminator Tacho and 2 x MSD 6AL ignitions (1 new in box and 1 x second hand both with multiple rev limit chips) Feel free to PM me if your interested.

Good Luck
Anthony

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 pm

I've got the Pertronix fitted and when it hits the rev limit I have set it just feels like a slight power drop that is just obvious enough to tell you to change gear. Has rotary dials so easy to change the rev limit.

chris'ntrish

Post by chris'ntrish » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Apart from the feeling that i've opened a can of worms, like the first time i took my motor apart, I'm rapt with the wealth of knowledge and suggestions coming through. Thanks guys! About to take holidays so will sift through, mail as appropriate (I'm still staggering as i find my way around the forum) and contact those who have solutions which fit the problem. Nice to rediscover the true heart of the Z club. Cheers!

Chris

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:36 pm

I assume Anthony the Mike you are looking for is me?

Chris the 280zx dizzy you want has the 12-80 Mitsubishi ignition box on the side. There is a mod you can do to the advance plates on the bottom - I am sure Anthony or Ricky will know how to carry this out but it locks the vacuum advance given you don't want to run that on triples anyway.

What Anthony states about the stock tach and some of the aftermarket units that are un-accurate is the reason I stated use both a light and limiter that is "accurate". Andy's advice about the light - did not think of that given the number of year I have been away from the track "racing" 1998 was the last time I put the old black 240z around the track in a "race" - so that is great advice too.

The Mallory units are a great price for a digital CDI box and have a rotary switch for setting the rev limits which is nicer vs the MSD pill (plug in resisters) setup - however the newer MSD 6AL-2 now have rotary switches too.

Edit - old but good thread on a mopar site about MSD vs Mallory units
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... er=5488233