Galaxy of Cars 2013

Ideas, past and coming events
BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:53 am

big sam wrote:Great, plenty of cars of all shapes and sizes, and there seemed to be plenty of people there throughout the day as well. The only Datsun I saw there was a matt black 1200 coupe ..
That sounds like a cool car.

Do you think there were more cars there than last year?

Looking for a bit of feedback here. If we re-instated our Club Concours & Show n Shine (for those that don't want to get the cotton buds out) :lol: at Galaxy of Cars, would more of you be keen to come along to Galaxy?? Given we always used to have 20-30 cars turn up for this event.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 am

I would like to see the Club Concours/ Show and Shine held at Galaxy of Cars.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:34 am

Do you know the reason why the Galaxy of Cars was moved from MOTAT to Western Springs? :?

Motat was an excellent venue, with the added bonus of the public being able to view the old planes, which made it a good family day out.
!972 240z

SMZ

Post by SMZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am

us2 wrote:Do you know the reason why the Galaxy of Cars was moved from MOTAT to Western Springs? :?

Motat was an excellent venue, with the added bonus of the public being able to view the old planes, which made it a good family day out.
I second that.

Re: Club Concours, I won't be entering again as it is aimed at cars that are origional, outside of that you can only possibly get members choice.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:10 am

Yes originality does come into it, but I doubt if very many of our cars are totally original, except the newer models.
The main criteria, as i understand it, is CLEANLINESS, not only the exterior and interior of the car, but the underbody, suspension components, under guards, engine bay. Basically EVERYTHING has to be clean. If it looks dirty, clean it.
A judge should be able to run their hand under the guard, and not get crud on their fingures.

A spotless car with NON original wheels, should in my opinion, win over a car that has original wheels, but has road grime under the guards, or a ciggy butt in the ash tray, or a glove box full of stuff.

Also the older the car is, the more points can accrue. This is on a sliding scale to try to make the playing field fairer when 40 year old cars are being judged against virtually brand new vehicles.

FWIW my car is not totally original, but i spend around four weekends on my back under the car cleaning, cleaning. Anything that doesn't look as i like it, i give a flick with a black rattle can.
All the wheels come off, and are cleaned front and back, and yes, i have used a tooth brush and terps on some hard to get at suspension components, and probably a whole day on the engine bay.

My 2c worth.
!972 240z

minimad

Post by minimad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 pm

I think Galaxy of Cars was moved because of MOTAT putting up more buildings so room for displaying cars was getting to small. I also heard that the school had some sort of issue with the use of the large paddock.

The mini club runs there show & shine at Galaxy and it works well for us.

We have classes that you nominate you car to go into, eg. original,restored, modified and custom. Enter into the class that is most suiable for your car and then being original or not does not matter.

Did you see the cream/grey 64 caged cooper on the mini club site. This is the car i took along, should be ready for copetition later this year.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 pm

SMZ wrote:
us2 wrote:Do you know the reason why the Galaxy of Cars was moved from MOTAT to Western Springs? :?

I second that.

Re: Club Concours, I won't be entering again as it is aimed at cars that are original, outside of that you can only possibly get members choice.
The reason Galaxy was moved was because of all the new underground drainage that was installed at school paddock that we used (as per the letter that they sent to participants last year). Obviously the weight of heavy cars sitting on it, may not be desirable.

There's also a "Show n Shine" trophy as well, which is aimed more at those that don't want to do the full Concours. So those cars that are modified, like yours SMZ, can have a crack at that trophy.
There are other divisions as well, say for Race Cars + more. There's actually quite a number of trophies, but some years not all of them are awarded. Just depends what the cars are like on the day.

minimad wrote:I think Galaxy of Cars was moved because of MOTAT putting up more buildings so room for displaying cars was getting to small. I also heard that the school had some sort of issue with the use of the large paddock.

The mini club runs there show & shine at Galaxy and it works well for us.

We have classes that you nominate you car to go into, eg. original,restored, modified and custom. Enter into the class that is most suiable for your car and then being original or not does not matter.

Did you see the cream/grey 64 caged cooper on the mini club site. This is the car i took along, should be ready for competition later this year.
Missed seeing your Mini Minimad. :( Hope will have the opportunity at another time.
Next - Z Club events:

minimad

Post by minimad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Took it for a drive up the Hunua Gorge on Saturday ofternoon. The straight cut gears scream like a baby and it goes around corners like it's on rails.

Quit disapointing really.

Another Tui add.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 pm

minimad wrote:Took it for a drive up the Hunua Gorge on Saturday afternoon. The straight cut gears scream like a baby and it goes around corners like it's on rails.
Sounding good! :twisted:
Next - Z Club events:

minimad

Post by minimad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Back to Galaxy, it got first in class in our clubs show, not bad first time out.

Now we have that trophy, the fun can start.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm

minimad wrote:Back to Galaxy, it got first in class in our clubs show, not bad first time out.
Well done. 8)

Who won best display Galaxy of Cars display and what sort of car won best in show?
Next - Z Club events:

minimad

Post by minimad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Best club=MG

2nd=Mustang

Best car=MGTC

2nd=Jag XK150

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks for that Minimad. 8)
Next - Z Club events: