New to forum

New to the site? Say hello here!
k1r4

New to forum

Post by k1r4 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi, I'm 21 and have recently bought a z from chch and planning on building up as a gift for my dad (as he rebuilt one years ago so any help would be greatly appreciated). It has a few things I'm not too sure about -
Hand throttle control cable,
Rally clock.

Can any one tell me about these parts and what they're used for/rareness of parts.

Cheers

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon May 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us a bit about the Z. Is it a 240, 260 or 280z?? 2+0 or 2+2?? That will help us tell us rarity etc. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Sounds like a 240z with hand throttle for cold mornings to keep idle speed up. Brilliant idea. My shitbox torana always konked out at intersections till warm. Rally clock?? Might have been involved with rallies?
All Nissans are racecars.

k1r4

Post by k1r4 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:37 pm

hey i beleave it to be a 240 but not 100% sure about year told its a 71 or 72 cant remember. it has an L28 wth 5 speed box and i also bought a L28 bored and stoked to 3.1L with a 5 speed box

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Welcome. Pictures are good.

Sounds like a 70-71 240.

Hand throttle=primitive cruise control.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Welcome. It sounds like an interesting car. Put up some pictures if you have some. Cheers, TC

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon May 14, 2012 9:05 pm

This is Stumpy's old car. Earlier model Z's had a hand throttle as mentionned. I'm pretty sure this car is a Fairlady rather than a 240/260 but if it has a hand throttle then I am assuming it is a fairly early car. I believe the early clocks were called a Rally Clock - not sure if there was different names on later versions? NZEDER?

I'm frequently in Palmerston North and would be happy to call in and help identify any parts you are not sure of. Having now rebuilt 2 early model Z's I'm pretty familiar with what parts belong where. I've also got a stack of spare parts if you need anything.

You are welcome to join in any of our Wellington area events even before you get the car on the road.

k1r4

Post by k1r4 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 pm

yeah that would be the one i found a bunch of fairlady z badges and it has a fairlady z badge on the glove box door. that would be great will post some pics tomorrow as it is in a storage shed at the moment and body will be going in to the shop to get body and paint work (paint code 903/ #tv2-bay side blue r34 gtr). plan to restore car minus engine as im going for a devil z (wangun midnight) apperance all round minus the bolt on guards and wheels as i already have a 3.1L L28. also looking for a L-ET kit to turbo/twin turbo. Cheers

djz

Post by djz » Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Did you buy that motor on Trademe with the candy red rocker cover? It wasn't actually a 3.1L, it still had an L28 crank in it.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.