6 Speed box in 350Z

350Z
Andy
Site Admin

6 Speed box in 350Z

Post by Andy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:06 pm

My understanding of the '03 and some '04 six speeds is that they were failures. Are these boxes upgradeable to cure the gear grinding, trouble shifting, hard shifts, getting locked out of gears problems that were reported? Or does one have to buy the later model box?

Can the old boxes be identified easily?

The ratios look very tasty for a long suffering 240Z 5 speed owner, whoever decided the ratios for the early z's was a motorist not a driver.

Buster

Post by Buster » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Andy wrote:My understanding of the '03 and some '04 six speeds is that they were failures. Are these boxes upgradeable to cure the gear grinding, trouble shifting, hard shifts, getting locked out of gears problems that were reported? Or does one have to buy the later model box?

I know the clutch slave cylinder is external up to '06 then inside the bell housing after that.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 am

Andy wrote:My understanding of the '03 and some '04 six speeds is that they were failures. Are these boxes upgradeable to cure the gear grinding, trouble shifting, hard shifts, getting locked out of gears problems that were reported? Or does one have to buy the later model box?

The ratios look very tasty for a long suffering 240Z 5 speed owner, whoever decided the ratios for the early z's was a motorist not a driver.
I'll put it this way, in earlier gear boxes, there do seem to be have a number that have a few issues with 2nd and 5th. Now having said this, a lot are still going strong on higher mileage and the original stock gear box.

Identification, I will find out for you.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:31 pm

The answer to the question:

"The number should be stamped on the gearbox casing and sometimes there is a label stuck on as well.

The early boxes will have the number CD01 and I think that there is a version, 5, 6, 7, 8 and the last box (2007) was CD09.

From 2003-2007 the clutch slave cyl. is on the outside of the gearbox and then the HR went on to the concentric slave which is part of the clutch release bearing."
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Andy your not thinking on putting one of those heavy beast in your Targa car are you? They have a very low 1st = you will never use it on Targa = it will be a 5spd for you.

So then if it is going to be a 5spd why not just get a good strong gear set for the 71B or 71C box in the ratio's you need/want ie gear it right to the max 200km/h in top. You don't have all the engineering issues of getting a heavy/large 350z box into S30 chassis. Pickup a SR20DET box longer tail to place the shifter back more than a RB20DET box. Install a 71B bellhousing and make a new mount for hte lightly longer rear casing (required be it a RB or SR box as the 71C have a slightly larger rear).

The easy install is replace the lower bearing on the 71C box with 71B size bearing and then just drill out the top selector fork hole (from 12mm to 14mm or is 14mm to 16mm I can't recall) and remove the chatter shim form the front of the 71C box and the bellhousing from the 71B will bolt right on with no other mods.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Yes, thanks Mike, I have been getting some quiet words from other members regarding the 58kg monster, apparently the RB20det is only 32.6kg. A V160 Getrag is also around 51kg. Interesting six speed Quaifes and Hollingers that would do are only 38kg and 39kg.
Also advice from others regarding the ridiculous first gear ratio. Thanks Mike you're always a big help.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Go the Quaife Andy ! Hell its only money !

Ant

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Baker93 wrote:Go the Quaife Andy ! Hell its only money !

Ant
lol true you can't take it with you when you pass so might as well spend it :D

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm pretty sure gearboxes are tax deductable? :-)

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Andy wrote:I'm pretty sure gearboxes are tax deductable? :-)
Thats the spirit 8)
74 260z 2+2