Hello everyone...'71 240Z in Christchurch

New to the site? Say hello here!
toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 pm

I've had starter motor issues so I pulled it and cleaned all the contacts, especially the solenoid. No difference after reinstalling it so after ratting around on the forums it seems a common problem is in the barrel of the ignition. I'm not sure where to go with that. Maybe do some more homework on it. When you've experienced as many earthquakes as we have down here in Christchurch you get a bit wary about going under a car with little or no breathing space. Note the Heath Robinson set up but with three jacks and plenty of back-up and I felt comfortable under there.
Attachments
starter 020resized.jpg
starter 020resized.jpg (283.99 KiB) Viewed 5661 times

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:42 pm

This front air dam came with the car when I bought it. It was barn stored obviously with a whole lot of heavy stuff on top of it and it's completely munted. Does anyone know how to re-shape it or who makes reproductions. I don't want a fiberglass air dam but want to go back to how the car arrived in New Zealand, minus the mud flaps.
Attachments
airdam 008resized.jpg
airdam 008resized.jpg (329.75 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
airdam 007resized.jpg
airdam 007resized.jpg (403.7 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
MyDatsunAtAucklandCarshow.jpg
MyDatsunAtAucklandCarshow.jpg (68.36 KiB) Viewed 5656 times

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Odd place to store firewood. :?

Buy yourself a small trolley jack and a couple of proper stands. Much safer.

The hubcaps look the business.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

djz

Post by djz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Something like this Powerbuilt set would be the business, you can buy them pretty much anywhere, safer for you and much better for the car, I hate to think what those scissor jacks are doing to the sills.

Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:21 pm

That air dam is a very rare Datsun accessory so whatever you do, don't throw it out! Not sure how you can straighten it and I haven't seen any reproductions anywhere. I have one too and one of the mounts has pulled out of the rubber so I need to find a way to re-attach it.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks djz. I thought about it but I'm a bit skint at the moment. I definitely need those.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 pm

old_datto_fan, have you ever thought about taking it to a plastic fabricator and getting a copy (mould) taken and having them made and selling them on eBay for about $350 USD each? Just thinking....

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:57 pm

No, I haven't thought of doing that. Mainly because I have three different front spoiler/air dam combinations I can use so just swapped to a full front air dam.

My one like yours is also slightly bent/mis-shapen so not sure it is the best example to use although probably not hard to make it near perfect.

I will add finding a plastic/rubber fabricator to the to-do list.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:03 am

toycollector10 wrote:I've had starter motor issues so I pulled it and cleaned all the contacts, especially the solenoid. No difference after reinstalling it so after ratting around on the forums it seems a common problem is in the barrel of the ignition. I'm not sure where to go with that. Maybe do some more homework on it. When you've experienced as many earthquakes as we have down here in Christchurch you get a bit wary about going under a car with little or no breathing space. Note the Heath Robinson set up but with three jacks and plenty of back-up and I felt comfortable under there.
Did you wire up the starter and check it before putting it back in the car.
That way you can determine if it's OK or not.

Imagine the damage to your beautiful car if those scissor jacks slipped. :cry:
!972 240z

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Put starter in vice, hook up jumper cables. Negative to starter body, positive to starter solenoid. Now use jumper wire to connect positive to small spade terminal(start). Solenoid should click and motor should run.
All Nissans are racecars.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm pretty sure the starter motor itself is OK. The copper solenoid contacts were clean as and it turns over strongly
when contact is made. I'm sure it's in the ignition barrel. I'll pull it when I get some time.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Oh yes. I think mine did the same and i swapped the switch for a spare I had.
All Nissans are racecars.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:40 pm

us2 wrote:The hubcaps look the business.
I've just had a can of spray paint made up by SprayStore to match the colour of the grill which needs freshening up.
There's enough paint to do the hubcaps as well. They're looking a bit scratched and tired and I wanted to keep the
factory paint, but they're just too faded to do justice to the car. I'm pretty sure that the hubcaps/grill/rear light surround
should all be the same colour. Is that correct?

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Not 100% sure.
My 72 grill is matt black, and not sure if that is correct. The grill was black when I bought it ,but a 40 year old car---anything is possible. I was just happy I had hubcaps and grill. :lol:

My hubcaps appear to be similar colour to the tailight surround.
!972 240z

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 am

I have a NOS grill and it is glossy black........I am assuming it is a Nissan item.
72 240z plus bits