Hello everyone...'71 240Z in Christchurch

New to the site? Say hello here!
djz

Post by djz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Chamberlains would be the next place to try for springs, they make the Cobra brand. Somebody like Mag & Turbo might be able to get another brand like Dobi if they make them for S30s.

http://cobrasprings.co.nz/catalogue/nis ... -260z/2816

I think if the noise goes away with the clutch pedal depressed it's probably not the release bearing, more likely the gearbox input shaft bearing. It's not too hard to do but will require removal of the front casing of the gearbox (if the A boxes are like the B boxes). I'd probably do the countershaft bearing as well while you're at it and you might want to order a front cover gasket just in case.

Have you drained the gearbox oil and checked it's condition? I drained one once and pieces of bearing cage and bearings came out with the oil, the car still drove fine but had a bit of a noise from the gearbox. Turned out to be the countershaft centre bearing from memory.
Last edited by djz on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks djz for the link to Cobra Springs. Just what I needed, I've sent off a request and will see what the price comes back at.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:09 am

This is the car I own which is the subject of this post.

http://www.zclub.org.nz/album_showpage.php?pic_id=96

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 am

Your car had been a Z Club members car in years past.
Nzeder enquires in his pictures. 'where is she now'
Now we know. Cool find Mark.

Brian.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

asyado

Post by asyado » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Mark,
yes the sound you hear and from your description, is more than likely the clutch fork release bearing that has gone, as I mentioned it takes a fair punishment in its life time as you well imagine.
I personally have never used a clutch pilot tool to line up the clutch plate when bolting down the pressure plate, I've always used my eyecrometer, lol. It takes alittle longer but I've never had an alinement problem when lining up the gearbox input splined shaft.
I just line up the clutch plate centre with the centre of the flywheel spigot bush or bearing and the fingers of the pressure plate as I tighten the pressure plate bolts.
All it costs me is a little time and I'm not sure what they charge these days for one of those tools but one would only use it maybe two to three times in ones life time depending on what punishment they give their clutch.
A bit of graphite grease applied to the input shaft spline helps but make sure it is only just a super thin coating or any excess with fly off and make the clutch surfaces then slip.
I usually apply the grease to the shaft and then use a rag and lightly pull it along the spline so as to leave a thin coating, you can also run the clutch plate back and forth along the splines as well to pick up any more excess grease before bolting everything up.
If you are replacing the rear main seal on the motor then while the flywheel is off, if there is any signs of surface cracks or heat marks where the clutch plate runs on it then it would be recommended to get the flywheel surface machined flat again @ a milling shop.
Also check the back frost plug on the motor block, any signs of aging or rusting then replace as well.
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks again for all the input and also the personal messages I'v'e been getting.

I'm about to order parts in from the USA. The bushes are rubber, not Urethane.

The list is below, can anybody add to it or make suggestions. I've decided to just replace the rear suspension gas struts only and leave the springs in place. Hopefully uprated KYB struts will raise the rear end a little, which is all I need. Having said that, can anyone recommend a brand of gas strut so that I can make comparisons.

23-4303 Front Control Arm bushings $11.02 each x2
23-4321 Tension Rod Bushings $5.50 each x 4
10-2261 Diff Bar Bushings $25.25 each x 2
23-4310 Rear Control Arm Bushing (Forward Piece) $15.32 each x 2
23-4312 Rear Control Arm Bushing (After Piece) $12.77 each x 2
23-4313 Spindle Pin Bushing $10.63 each x 4
23-4243 Spindle Pin Rubber Washer $1.72 each x 4
20-1121 Shift bushing on end of lever $3.38
20-1130 Shift bushing for pin $3.45 each x 2
10-2251 Diff Mount $42.20
Urethane steering rack bushings $12.95 per pair.
23-4240 Spindle Pins $29.63 each x 2
23-4240 Spindle Pin Nuts $1.22 each x 4
23-4370 Rear Strut Mount Insulators $59.94 each x 2
23-4379 Upper Strut Spacers Rear $6.63 each x 2
clutch fork pilot tool
clutch fork
clutch dust boot
urethane trans mount bushings
crankshaft seals x 2 side and one main rear

all of the above come from Aaron at MotorsportAuto in the USA. He' well on to it and knows his stuff. The clutch parts took 4 days out of SF, I think it is.

Input shaft (spigot) bronze bush and clutch fork throw out bearing (comes with the clutch?)

Countershaft bearing
Clutch kit. Cochram Nissan
Gaskets for clutch bell housing and gearbox. Sump gasket. Cochram Nissan
KYB Suspension inserts ex Stocks $328
Machine the flywheel flat

That should do it unless anyone can add anything or make suggestions.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 pm

I got a full master bushing kit from Motorsport auto and it made my car feel better than new. They did however leave out two bushes for some reason - this may be cheaper than buying them in bits.
74 260z 2+2

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi mike260z, I specified rubber bushes. I've never seen rubber bushes on eBay, the kits all seem to be Urethane now. Too hard for me.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 pm

You forgot the roll cage, 6 point harnesses and race seats!

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Ha, ha,...Nice one.

Maybe I'll be the last basterd left in the world with a stock standard (ish) 240 Z car.

Not likely.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Sorry mate didnt read your post correctly , my bushes are not rubber and its a pretty firm ride for sure. Good on you for trying to keep it stock.
74 260z 2+2

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:36 am

toycollector10 wrote:Ha, ha,...Nice one.

Maybe I'll be the last basterd left in the world with a stock standard (ish) 240 Z car.

Not likely.
If I ever found a goody I would do a restore, I excuse the "improvements" to our cars because the body shells have been to a few parties in their time and a restorer wouldn't knowingly pick one as a restoration.

asyado

Post by asyado » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Mark,
if you are still after a clutch fork pivot ball, there are a couple of diff suppliers on Ebay that sell them. If you do a search in the motoring section under 260Z and or 240Z, you should find them without too much trouble.
Around the $20 and under mark for these but as always on getting anything from the States, sometimes the freight is worth way more than the item so I always buy as much as I can afford each time or it becomes way too expensive.
:cry: I'm near crying now because we seem to be the world monetary boxing bag and we've taken another hit, the dollar has slipped yet again, please go back up over .80cents, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Nigel aka asyado

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi Nigel, I went to see a young NZDatsun forum member yesterday who just happens to work in the parts department at Cockram Nissan. He's ordering in some stuff for me so I'll see if he can get that part for me. Aaron at MotorsportAuto in the USA couldn't supply the part. Too much confusion about what sort of gearbox I had. I'll wait and see what happens. Cheers.

asyado

Post by asyado » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi Mark,
I think you will find that the clutch fork pivot ball is the same regardless of gearbox series, one of the great things about Nissan is that most parts were used between other car makes and models to keep production costs down.
The Ebay suppliers make no mention of any difference to gearbox type and both suppliers show the same configured part in their listings.
Nigel aka asyado
I'll try to find them again and post up a link for you.