Engine bay wiring harness problem 260Z

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
ZMAD

Engine bay wiring harness problem 260Z

Post by ZMAD » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Had my engine running the other day while working under the hood. Spotted the fusible link smoking and ripped off battery lead super fast. The thing was very hot, large white & white/red cables were also hot. Started a mammoth search to locate mystery fault. Meter showed 15 Ohm short. Now it's the circuit from battery that feeds fuse board I believe. Narrowed it down to engine bay wiring harness right below fusible resistors. When I apply upward pressure the short disappears and reappears when I release that pressure. Next stage is removing harness to un-tape it. Anyone else been here before.
All Nissans are racecars.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Seems to have been two crimped junctions beside each other (one heavy ground wires and other the heavy white wires) which had thin piece of insulation then tape over join. Sharp corners must have penetrated to each other.

I'm going to upgrade fusible links, can someone please locate amp ratings. By memory its 1 black (40A) and 2 brown (11A). Is that correct.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Found the info on Z Tech Tips. My 77 260Z has the black (80A) and 2 red (50A).Some models have the green (40A) as well.

Pink 30 amp
Green 40 amps 0.50mm²
Red 50 amps 0.69mm²
Yellow 60 amps
Black 80 amps 1.25mm²
Blue 100 amps