Red Zed Build Thread

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Mon May 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Gud one! Bead blasting cleans up ali with a dull textured effect.
All Nissans are racecars.

Jibber

Post by Jibber » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Hey there. I've just redone the tank on my Z32. Linkup have a fuel tank sealant that might be worth some attention. Its a POR product, stir it up, tip it in, slosh it about. It seal any holes they've missed, deal with any corrosion etc. Its an epoxy, single pack. I cured a hole in mine between that and some knead it (someone had used a dodgy screw and put a hole in it) but in retrospect, I wish I'd had the time to seal all the bottom of the tank and sides with it etc.

It cost about $25 from memory, I bought a 250mL can. For all the trouble you're going to, it might be well worth it.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Tue May 29, 2012 2:28 pm

I considered the POR15 option but figured getting it soldered and pressure tested was a safer option. And I was quoted $90 for the POR15 tank sealant too which I thought was pretty steep.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue May 29, 2012 5:11 pm

mods to fuel tanks need to be checked by a certifier I believe. I need to get mine looked after doing something very similar.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Tue May 29, 2012 5:14 pm

nzeder wrote:mods to fuel tanks need to be checked by a certifier I believe. I need to get mine looked after doing something very similar.
You're probably right. I'll obviously be going though a certifier for all the other stuff so he can just add it to the list!

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:42 pm

A mate made me this sweet bend and tacked up my mounts. Everything came out minty. The isolators are 35mm x 70mm from a Ford something.

I had to notch the back of the pipe to clear the TC mounts.

And this is how everything sits.

Shed loads of room up front!

This morning I whittled up the g-box mount. The two cut-outs are for twin 2.5" exhausts. The hole in the middle is for the one bolt which goes through the stock isolator.

Some baboon (not me!) broke off some casing around the starter so I'll get this cut to fill the void.

That's about it. I'll be stoked once the mounts are permanently in the car! But that feels a way off.

I've got some clearance issues with the headers which I've started to cut up so I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again but with more clearance. Those photos are too scary/embarrassing to publish. I think I'll mock them up and take them to TTT Automotive to TIG. Hopefully they don't laugh out loud!

I'm also gonna have to add another uni and hanger bearing to my steering shaft so I can clear everything more comfortably. I don't know what's available for this so I guess I'll have a poke around Pick-A-Part.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Excellent work Mikey. Re the steering just remember you are not allowed to do any welding to any steering component. You have to spline and join etc no welding this is what a cert engineer has stated and if you check a few forums this is stated over and over again too. So no welding on the steering you can use a shaft that from the factory is welded but you can't weld or anyone else for that matter - only factory welds are accepted.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks Nzder. Yeah I was aware of that rule. I could almost get away with using the stock shaft but I'm pretty sure the certifier wont like the limited clearance. And if I'm crafty I'll have enough room to use the factory alternator location.

I have seen other people do what I'm thinking on a 240z, they were in the states thou, so they probably didn't need to worry about the welding rule which makes life a lot easier.

I'll poke around all the FWD cars at Pick-A-Part and hopefully something jumps out at me!

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Great stuff Mikey - that is a beast of an engine for an S30 :D
74 260z 2+2

willythefish

Post by willythefish » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Looking good.I will need to do something similar for my swap. Glad you are leading the way.

niroshann

Post by niroshann » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 am

Very nice custom mounts! Looking forward to seeing more updates! Amazing how much space gets left over in the engine bay!

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 am

Stage 2..........lift that big induction manifold and drop in throttle body injection........six trumpets......yeeeeeehhhhaaaaaa
72 240z plus bits

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Agree with the above

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks guys.
nustad wrote: Stage 2..........lift that big induction manifold and drop in throttle body injection........six trumpets......yeeeeeehhhhaaaaaa
I'd love to do this! It'd sound grouse! And one day it might just happen...

disruptiv

Post by disruptiv » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:37 pm

could you use 4age throttle bodies?