280ZX speakers

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Brock365

280ZX speakers

Post by Brock365 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi people. I want to upgrade the sound system on my 1980 280ZX 2+2 seater. Currently for good volume music in front seats deafens kids in back. The doors are too skinny for speakers. Has no front factory speakers. Where have people put speakers in the front of these cars?
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

djz

Post by djz » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Your car doesn't have the factory speakers in the top of the dash? Never seen a 280ZX like that before.

Pretty sure I have seen speakers mounted in the lower parts of the doors, you can buy shallow mount speakers or just space them out.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Brock365

Post by Brock365 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Those holes are speaker holes? I always assumed they air vent holes as no sound has ever come out of them..... Must look in morning.
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

djz

Post by djz » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Definitely speaker holes, the middle one is a pain to get to if you need to replace the speaker. They take a normal 4" sized replacement.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

willythefish

Post by willythefish » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:53 pm

I have 6" speakers in the knee kick panels beside the lights that come on when the door opens.
5" or 4" would have been a better choice but was done by PO so I have a hole there now.

Twink

Post by Twink » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:18 pm

yea, the speaker in the left side of the dash is easy to get to , just pull the inside liner of the glove box out, to get to it, as for the center speaker, u should be able to see it with the glove box out, but that speaker is a bit harder to get out.

wittsend

Post by wittsend » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 pm

You remove the center gauge cluster through the glove box hole once the glove box lining is out. Its one screw that can be accessed from the glove box side, and the other side of the cluster is retained by a tab insterted in a slot. Then you have to remove the gauge clusters plug which can be a bit stubborn. I think from there, there is some plastic heater ducting to remove and that makes getting at the centre speaker easier (this is just off the top of my head :))
"If it aint broken...."
Pull it apart anyway and find out how it works!

niroshann

Post by niroshann » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:12 am

I didn't have the speaker on the passenger side of the dash in my old ZX but maybe that was because it was removed by a previous owner. The current one has it and it works along with the one behind the centre console.

I run a small 4ch amp under the passenger seat with two new speakers at the back (just behind the doors) and then a couple of smaller tweeters at the front and I try balance it so that the tweeters have more volume than the speakers at the rear to avoid the issue of deafening my little bro and sis who ride in the back seats. It is not ideal as I have two ugly tweeters on top of the dash, but it brings more volume to the front.

Works okay, but really not much choice with the narrow doors and lack of space on the dash. Jaycar electronics do some decent speakers for cars and maybe you can match speakers for the factory ones built into the dash. Might do this myself when I get the chance.

Twink

Post by Twink » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 pm

I have done exactly this in the last month or so. As I am putting my car back together, I replace all the speakers. Like people have been saying, middle one is hard to get to.