New 280zx project car

New to the site? Say hello here!
David Logan

New 280zx project car

Post by David Logan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:00 am

Hey guys names David im 18, just recently bought 1981 280zx. Needs a lot of work but im prepared to spend the time on it. Since im a student i dont really have much money but im doing pretty much all the work myself little bit by bit. I really love the Z cars cant wait to get some more work done. Im studying full time and working part time aswell so pretty much using any spare time i can to work on it. If you guys have any tips for restoration for poor guys like me that would be mint :D
Ill upload some photos sometime for yah

Cheers
Dave

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:48 am

Hi David & Welcome,

I found whilest I did up my Zed on a part-time/student budget that time and patience is key - but its the research and knowledge gained from the club which really kept my motivation or bravery to press on without compromise.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 am

Welcome to the forum Dave, 8)

There are many here that have had their Z cars for a long time, probably having started off with a project as you are. Good luck with the project. Feel free to start a project thread, we love watching the progress as another Zed comes back to life. 8) :D
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

asyado

Post by asyado » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum and congrats on the car. I got my zeddy at 19 and if there's one piece of advise I can give for free is that if you want to keep the rust repairs from blowing out till you have the funds to repair then try to keep your car under some kind of cover if at all possible. My car was left outside all the time and rust took hold rather more quickly than I had hoped for. It may still rust under cover but it will surely slow it down. Welcome again. Nigel
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!

holden_fan2005

Post by holden_fan2005 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Hey dude! Good to see some younger guys get into zed cars :D

After owning my zed (which I hope you didn't buy...) it will be best to find a friend who has their own welder and can weld :wink: Other than that you should have a lot of fun with it, a cool car to muck around with.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Hello David. Welcome to the forum. As others have said, take your time and you do have time on your side.
I agree with Nigel. Try and keep it dry so it doesnt get worse. Any pictures yet.?
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:01 pm

Welcome David,

Why don't you try to get along to our cruise to the Wairarapa on the 19th and you can meet some other local Z car fans.

Mike

ZYX

Post by ZYX » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi Dave. I'm also restoring a 280zx in Wellington - or at least my son is doing the work for me and I'm paying - I hope that counts. YOu would be very welcome to come and take a look anytime.

Yours may well be finished before mine............... Its been almost 3 years now.

Murray
My restoration will be finished in time for the next meet. Really. No, REALLY. Maybe......

David Logan

Post by David Logan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:42 am

Got it sitting in the garage at the moment so hopefully shouldnt get worse =]
Thanks everyone!
:D
Attachments
DSC_0468.jpg
DSC_0468.jpg (800.24 KiB) Viewed 7365 times

holden_fan2005

Post by holden_fan2005 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:06 pm

:lol: That's my old beast!! Chirst it's still going :shock:

I have a few parts here if you want them for free? A full set of chrome, some random little interior bits, the spare wheel that I could put a shit tyre on for ya?

Oh and I have a car worth of 1k primer, the bonnet colour and 1k clear I could do for a very good price :D

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:00 pm

The last owner was a rough bugger :-) :shock:

asyado

Post by asyado » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:02 pm

Mmmmmm, I like the matt black finish on the paint job, low maintenance for sure, hehe lol. Labour of love there, it's got the Christine (watch the movie of the same name) look going for it. Reminds me of the car that was posted in speedhunters.com, just needs an off colour front guard to rock. Nigel P.S. Don't blow your student loan on fixing it unless you plan on becoming a dentist or a lawyer but hey they all start out as rough diamonds don't they!!!!!!
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!

David Logan

Post by David Logan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 am

Hey guys just thought id give you guys the update
Attachments
srgsrg.jpg
srgsrg.jpg (420.24 KiB) Viewed 7243 times

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:32 am

Hey David, This car looks to be in pretty good shape. Any more pictures? Floors etc.
Best of luck with it. I was told as a young fella, (thats a while ago) don't look too much
at the whole problem. Just a bit at a time. One corner at a time. You will get there.

Brian.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

willythefish

Post by willythefish » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Welcome,
My 280Z is on a bit of a rolling restoration. I have found the people on thios site very helpful. One thing I have also found is that its worth asking Nissan for price for a new parts, sometimes they can be cheaper than restoring old parts (like my whole new set of front pannels)