HELP - Electric Windows

Answer to most of the common technical questions
nismoracer

HELP - Electric Windows

Post by nismoracer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:40 pm

hi ya....i hope someone can help me....if i open my passenger door then shut it - the window which is up, automatically goes down to half way & so i go to put it back up 7 when it reaches the top it goes back down again - anyway to fix this?

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:04 pm

nismoracer wrote:hi ya....i hope someone can help me....if i open my passenger door then shut it - the window which is up, automatically goes down to half way & so i go to put it back up 7 when it reaches the top it goes back down again - anyway to fix this?
It shouldn't go down half way. Could be marginally off track, or the window motor is malfunctioning. Both common issues. Either way, door card needs to come off to start rectifying the issue. I'd check to make sure it's sitting in it's track before entertaining the fairly high cost of a window motor or two if you do the other side too.

http://350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30870
(You need to be logged in to see the attachment).
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:59 pm

I take it you have a 350Z as I understand it the windows go down a smidgen when you open the doors. I would hazard a guess that there is an electronic problem. Computer telling the wrong things or may getting an incorrect reading. Might need to be plugged into Nissan analizer to see what problem is.
Bernie Kant
Club President

merlin

Post by merlin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:04 pm

YOU CAN'T BEAT THE TRUSTED AND TRUE MANUAL ARMSTRONG WIND DOWN WINDOWS!!! Get rid of the 350z and get a good 240z. you don't have to send it to NASA for diagnostics, you can fix it yourself. there is soooo little to go wrong.
I just spent weds morning fixing my toyota windows. I would rather pay more to have wind up ones!!!
Good luck.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:49 pm

They're not that bad. Really only three things that go wrong with the windows. Either come slightly off their track (just need to be moved back on-pretty easy), or the window motor goes or greasy windows. Door card isn't hard to get off. If window motor, not a cheap fix though. Let's hope for the slightly off track. You'll know which it is, as soon as the door card is off. 8)

There is also a window reset procedure too.
Next - Z Club events:

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:40 pm

While i agree with you on the windows - the fact that i have replaced so much of my 260Z due to its age that it has shown me there is much that can go wrong with S30 model Z cars. I guess when the 350Z is 36 years old it will be just as bad as my rust bucket money pit :lol: At least the new ones dont rust!
merlin wrote:YOU CAN'T BEAT THE TRUSTED AND TRUE MANUAL ARMSTRONG WIND DOWN WINDOWS!!! Get rid of the 350z and get a good 240z. you don't have to send it to NASA for diagnostics, you can fix it yourself. there is soooo little to go wrong.
I just spent weds morning fixing my toyota windows. I would rather pay more to have wind up ones!!!
Good luck.
74 260z 2+2

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:35 am

mike260z wrote:While i agree with you on the windows - the fact that i have replaced so much of my 260Z due to its age that it has shown me there is much that can go wrong with S30 model Z cars. I guess when the 350Z is 36 years old it will be just as bad as my rust bucket money pit :lol: At least the new ones dont rust!
Quite likely worse, given all the electrical componentary and sensors from woo to go. If a car reaches 36 years old, only to be expected that it will need a little bit more tlc.

Oh, and some are painted rust coloured from the factory. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, how are you getting on with those windows Nismo?
Once you get them sorted, make sure passengers are super careful closing the doors, being frameless they need that extra care. Being slightly sprung anyway, no need to assist closure much.
Next - Z Club events:

nismoracer

Post by nismoracer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 am

hey guys, thanks for the info....its on the do to list....just spent all day cleaning it now i have the three step polish and wax and clay bar to do first, then i will get onto the window....will keep you posted....cheers

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:12 am

Was there a dealer warranty with the car?
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

nismoracer

Post by nismoracer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:46 am

no unfortunatley - i might get from one work for half the price the dealership wanted....

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Yes mine was painted rust from the factory for sure :lol: Ah well i am sure i have paid for a couple of Panel beaters kids to go to uni with all my rust repair.

BRONZEE wrote:
mike260z wrote:While i agree with you on the windows - the fact that i have replaced so much of my 260Z due to its age that it has shown me there is much that can go wrong with S30 model Z cars. I guess when the 350Z is 36 years old it will be just as bad as my rust bucket money pit :lol: At least the new ones dont rust!
Quite likely worse, given all the electrical componentary and sensors from woo to go. If a car reaches 36 years old, only to be expected that it will need a little bit more tlc.

Oh, and some are painted rust coloured from the factory. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, how are you getting on with those windows Nismo?
Once you get them sorted, make sure passengers are super careful closing the doors, being frameless they need that extra care. Being slightly sprung anyway, no need to assist closure much.
74 260z 2+2

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:21 pm

mike260z wrote:Yes mine was painted rust from the factory for sure :lol:
BRONZEE wrote:Oh, and some are painted rust coloured from the factory. :lol: :lol:
Lol, same here (see my avatar), just hope it doesn't have the bubbly rusty stuff in another 20-30 years. :shock:
Next - Z Club events:

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 am

Im sure it wont , they seem to have cured the tin worm in cars in the late 80s.
74 260z 2+2