Removing Oxidation from the engine mainfold

New to the site? Say hello here!
nismoracer

Removing Oxidation from the engine mainfold

Post by nismoracer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi everyone - im a newbie - just traded my 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS for a 2003 Nissan 350z on Tuesday - im wondering if anyone has any ideas how to remove the oxidation from the engine manifold & also how to remove the Number Plate Tag?

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Welcome to the forum and to Zeds. Yeah oxidation on aluminium is a pain. Autosol and elbow grease is the only thing I know.
It seems to occur worse when degreaser has been used and hosed off. Others may know some product that works
withought the effort.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm

nismoracer wrote:Hi everyone - im a newbie - just traded my 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS for a 2003 Nissan 350z on Tuesday - im wondering if anyone has any ideas how to remove the oxidation from the engine manifold & also how to remove the Number Plate Tag?
Hi, welcome to the forum. Did you buy a NZ new or an import? Post up a pic for us.

Most number plate tags will just screw off (if you're talking about the front), unless there is a bolt on the back, then I'm afraid bumper off, but it doesn't take long. Bunch of 10mm bolts underneath the bumper, and wheel arch clips, then black tabs under the bonnet at the front. Useful guide here, plus stacks more guides to most things you'd need to do.

http://350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19516

There's an event on this Sunday, a rally/trial, all you need is a co-pilot, tank of gas, and a few other bits as per the thread:

http://www.zclub.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=1787&test=test
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

nismoracer

Post by nismoracer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:05 pm

hi guys, thanks for the quick replies & the links....i stopped by repco on the way home and got some 3m metal restoration which was mainly for marine use but said it aided in removing oxidation so will give it a go on a small area first....i bought a 2003 import, 2nd nz owner in peral white with 19 inch koings with black accents through the spokes but someone has kerbed the crap out of them so will have to get them fixed....as soon as i have some pics i will pop some on....thanks again - very much appreciated

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:20 am

I think I might have seen that one around, those wheels make it distinctive. Might be a few though now. Once upon a time there were very few white ones in NZ, Pikes Peak White (as they call it in the US), not being a colour that was sold new in NZ or the UK for that matter.
Next - Z Club events:

nismoracer

Post by nismoracer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:05 am

i picked it up from a dealer in New Lynn & the previous owner who had for 5 montsh was in Mt Eden & i have only seen one other white one when i was looking so yeah you might have seen it - pretty tidy condition but im really fussy so will be spending teh weekend on her, starting with the mags then the clay bar....

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:47 am

I 2nd AutoSol - I've used every metal polish sold in SuperCheap/Repco and that was the longer lasting/protective one.

Just whatever you do dont try protect bare aluminium with any clear/paint coat! The extreme heat will tarnish most clear coats to a snotty yellow.

240z
Z Club Member

Post by 240z » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 am

I have found the old fashion steelo pad the best for removing oxidation from aluminium castings and the soap in the pad also seems to keep the oxidation away. Also leaves a factory shiny alloy finish.

nismoracer

Post by nismoracer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:20 pm

oh yeah the steelo pad - might try that as well...going to repco at lunch to check out the autosol too....thanks for the help

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:26 pm

That Steelo soap pad sounds a great idea. Must try it---- on my alloy wheels. :)
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

nismoracer

Post by nismoracer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:22 pm

thnaks for all the help....one other question - how do you disable the door open chime? any ideas or best go see the auto sparky?

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:05 pm

That soap soaked steelo pad is brilliant stuff!
nismoracer wrote:i picked it up from a dealer in New Lynn & the previous owner who had for 5 months was in Mt Eden & i have only seen one other white one when i was looking so yeah you might have seen it - pretty tidy condition but i'm really fussy so will be spending the weekend on her, starting with the mags then the clay bar....
We've got two other white ones that maybe come once in a blue moon to a meet. Had a guy in a pristine white soft top roll up to our Grass Gymkhana in April. Know of a couple of others, but definitely not many around at all.

You'll fit in nicely around here, not of course that we have any detailing nuts. :lol: 8) :D Only another 6 months til our club Concours & Concours d' Elegance. 8)
nismoracer wrote:one other question - how do you disable the door open chime? any ideas or best go see the auto sparky?
Actually to be honest, I don't think you can disable the door chime. It's not actually a bad thing though. Although it's a reasonably audible chime, you do get used to it. You could try posting on http://www.350z-uk.com first, ZMANALEX or one of the other extremely clued up 350 mechanics will more than likely be able to confirm that, or may know of a clever way to disable it.
Next - Z Club events:

nismoracer

Post by nismoracer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:00 pm

got four ten packs of steelo pads & some autosol metal polish at lunch so will be a busy boy i think...thanks for the link i will have a look there too- i have also been looking on my350z.com & 350zmotoring.com...i look forward to meeting up with you guys once i have her up to my standards....whats the concours & concours d'elegance meet?...anyway thanks again for the help - you guys obviously know your stuff and are much more helpful then seraching on the net for answers - cheers

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:16 am

nismoracer wrote:got four ten packs of steelo pads & some autosol metal polish at lunch so will be a busy boy i think...thanks for the link i will have a look there too- i have also been looking on my350z.com & 350zmotoring.com...i look forward to meeting up with you guys once i have her up to my standards....whats the concours & concours d'elegance meet?...anyway thanks again for the help - you guys obviously know your stuff and are much more helpful then searching on the net for answers - cheers
my350z.com is a useful site. Being the first, and by far the largest. Just take some of the 15 & 16 year olds with a grain of salt though. :lol:
www.350z-tech.com has lots of attached tech info, including workshop manuals etc.

We have our club Concours at Galaxy of Cars in February every year. It's more than a Show 'n Shine, but there is a Show 'N Shine category & trophy up for grabs for paid up members, plus quite a few other detailing associated trophies. Basically clean the car to the extreme. Engine bay, panel, paint, interior, wheel arches, etc, etc. You get the idea. 8) Galaxy of Cars is a big out door car show, that about 80 clubs attend. All sorts, from classics to more modern ones like 350's, HSV's, Jag's, new Mini's etc. Fantastic day out. :D

Then winning cars from our club concours at Galaxy of Cars will be asked to display at Concours d' Elegance at Ellerslie the following weekend/Sunday. Many very especial, extremely valuable, very rare cars are on display at Ellerslie. We only have space for a small number of cars at Ellerllie. But Galaxy of Cars is more the merrier. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:24 am

ps. If you go to the "Photo Album" on here, then look up February each year, you will find stacks of photos of both events, oh and our Taupo Track Day, that Zedders come from all over for. :D
Next - Z Club events: