Engine for the project

stick with L24?
45%
do the RB swap?
55%

Total votes: 56
badhabit

Post by badhabit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:55 pm

little bit more progress over the long weekend. Fabricated floor section is in and fire wall is fully welded now. Made pressing in the floor using some round bar bent to mimic the shape and some 'gentle' beating!
Fairly happy with how the floor turned out - 100% better than the mangled original anyway. The under seal i normally use has a nice fine stippled finish so once ground up the repair should look nice and clean.
The other side of the car should be a little less complicated. Repairing other sill and minor holes in floor. Have to rebuild the rear of the sill completely but will be able to keep the outer skin intact.

1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Nice to see the progress. You get a real good feeling if acuplishment. keep up the hard wok and thanks for the updates.
Bernie Kant
Club President

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:36 pm

managed a little more on the Z today.
Repaired the 'cups' under the hatch hinge area.
Cut out the crushed corner and replaced it. It'll need a little filler but will be a heap less than it had before. Still a little bit to do there but a little at a time. Shape is pretty good so should grind up well
The list of repairs is getting shorter! ya! Might even get to talk to the media blaster before christmas.
Did the rear corner of the RH sill last month - a real bugger to get the inner flange shape to the original guard right. Need a shrinker - one day......

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 pm

nothing like doing a project in reverse!just bought the drivetrain for the car. :D

although i will need it soon enough and it was a bloody good deal!

Specs:
Rb25det (neo) with 5 speed big box. Done 87's out of an R34
twin-cam TURBO (206 kW (280 PS) @ 6400 rpm, 362 N·m (37.0 kgf·m) @ 3200 rpm)

yikes the garage is going be full!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:48 am

well that deal fell through! - bloody Trademe advertiser had description wrong! was only gbox not motor and gbox.
Oh well

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 pm

only thing i've done on the Z since before christmas is clean off some of the surface rust with Tergo acid - Man that stuff is wicked!

Have had a thought though and would like see if anyone has ever seen any info on it...... The wiring in the Z is 40 years old and i was thinking i should just swap the 'entire' loom out of a skyline into the Z shell??? modern relays, modern fusebox etc etc. Can be that difficult. take out the ABS and fiddly stuff and have it all much newer but stock nissan.

Had a look around HybridZ but they seem to just do the splice into the old Z loom.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:14 pm

There was a guy in Oz that installed the Skyline loom in the zed. PSI510 is his username on auszcar.com if I recall

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:59 am

New wiring sounds good. You would need to modify it though so definately not easy.
All Nissans are racecars.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 pm

spent a little time in the garage getting the shell ready for winter.

and after looking a couple of the Z's that are on trademe at the moment i'm super happy with the condition of mine - should make for a better end result..

Tergo rust kill and scouring pad has so far been the best way to get the surface rust off all the panels. It leaves a phosphate coating on the panels too.
Got Autoblast to give me quote for blasting and Durapox epoxy prime - $2000 + gst. The epoxy on it's ownis $600 +. I did think the blasting would be a little less as there isn't any paint on the thing anyway but I can't really afford that at the moment but it will be the best way to get into every spot eventually. Maybe spring time.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Talk about transformation - fantastic. Great to see major progress. You put me to shame! Looking forward to more updates. Cheers Glenn
72 240z plus bits

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:10 pm

I wish you would stop loading pictures - makes me question my sanity in selling it!

Looking great though.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 am

just think of the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars you aren't having to put into it, it may help ?
It'll be a long road with this one!
The reality is the ''RatZ" will probably happen first but who knows what winter will bring.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:55 am

well after a long slumber, while i stuff around with other toys....read Z's! the RBZ needs some love.
So it's heading off the media blasters! for a bit of a day spa. Full exfoliation and facial!! it'll come back a nice shade of epoxy off white and free from the stuble it now exhibits.

Body is mostly done but i feel sorry for the poor thing sitting with the surface rust on it and there is another reason for the progress.... I need the garage space for the '72 that arrives this week!

Spent a day cleaning off all the sound deadening and seam sealer off so i can redo it all and there is no 'lurking' bits later.

once it's back i'll take further steps to the RB purchase and begin the engine / trans setup so i can drill and holes or do any additional welding to the shell before it's off to the the paint man for some crisp white liquid goodness!!!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Bit more work on the shell today. Made me realise how much work there is still to do on it but also just how simple the Z cars are.
So she's all ready to go for Monday. The shell will be setup in the rotisserie at the blaster a so they can get everywhere and much easier for epoxy application. The doors, guards, bonnet and hatch will all be done too.
Quite a big step time wise as its been a couple of years sitting in the garage and should now see a bit of progress once all the rust is gone.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 am

Love to see the progress, that is the sort of work I love, doing the body work, can't wait to get set up in my new garage. First project my sons early EXA, keep the updates coming, Would like to see the Zeds get this attention rather than the American stuff. Great talents.
Bernie Kant
Club President