Engine for the project

stick with L24?
45%
do the RB swap?
55%

Total votes: 56
badhabit

Post by badhabit » Thu May 27, 2010 6:35 am

friday 4th of June. All going well it'll be resting in it's new home on saturday. :D
Hope this 'wonderful' auckland weather will give me a break for those few days!? :roll:

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:41 pm

As usual the sunny Kapiti Coast put on perfect weather for Chris to collect his new project. All loaded and left mid afternoon on his way to Ohakune for the night and then on to Auckland tomorrow. So if you are on SH1 tomorrow and see a 240Z shell on a trailer behind a white van then you will know what and who it is.

And yes, you can get all the mechanicals, suspension and trim inside a Hiace van.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 am

cheers mike!
Got back to auckland at 2pm yesterday - No dramas.
Thanks for all your help in loading it up. The weather couldn't have been more perfect - lucky with that one as i look out at the storm today.
I'll be going through all the bits soon to seen if there's anything i need.

Gotta love rental cars! That Hiace Hicube was just massive! just as well as i don't think a normal van would have taken all the bits. 3ltr turbo Diesel had no real problems with the 1500+ kgs (guessing). Lots of people looking at the shell as we trundled along the way but OMG! there are some ignorant drivers on the road!

my bloody camera got reset to low res so the pics are a bit yuk. Thanks mike for posting a couple of good ones.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:12 am

and so the project begins.
First step is to make room for the bits. I'll have to hit the body with sander to get the excess surface rust off, Tergo make a product that should kill the remaining rust and leave a phosphate coating. The product Jenolite used to fantastic for this but ti don't think it's available anymore?
I'll make a rotisserie frame with some engine stands, should make access to everything easier.
The body will reassembled / mocked up, so i can see if there are any misaligned bits that need massaging. The doors need to go on so i can weld the sills on the perfect spot. There are a few areas needing some patch panels made up along with some removal of filler to in-accessible corners - some slide hammer action required. All in all the shell is pretty clean, makes a nice change from the VW's i've been used to!

there is something poetic about the shape of that roof and hatch - gotta love it! See how long it take before i can mimmic these pics with the finished Z!?

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:05 am

Nice one Chris. How many to lift the body? The pics of your car, and a bit of snow on the mountains is cool. 8)

Another kill rust product I used a long time ago was "Ospho" I found it very good, but don't know if it's still available here.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:26 am

You certainly are lucky you drove back yesterday and not today! Fantastic to see another project in the motions.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:16 am

yeah the gods were smiling on me :)
took 4 to lift the body. Always a challenge if it's just yourself! been there!
Here is a couple of pics of my Last Z along with a few of the VW's i've done. The blue Vw Notchback took me 2 years to do, i would think the Z is about that time frame. maybe bit less - funds allowing. I would expect this Z will be similar in style to LH240Z but with that modern twist

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:42 am

An S30 looks cool from any angle, even sitting naked on a trailer.

Yeah,two years. One bit at a time and don't look at the whole picture.

From the VW, looks like the Z should be a breeze for you Chris. At least you have a good shell

to start with.
!972 240z

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:23 am

Hey Chris,

Now you have removed the 240Z from my to do list and can now start on my Roadster project, how about I challenge you to a race to see who gets their project on the road first!

Moved the Roadster from the lock-up to the container yesterday and did a quick mock-up of the body panels just to remind me of how it looks.
More enthused now so will have a chat to the panel beater and dip stripping guys later this week.
Already discussing paint colours with my wife who seems to think she is going to be allowed to drive it to work! That one might need to be negotiated but at least I do have some encouragement to get it done.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:34 am

hmm a race!? I'd say you've already got a few years head start in the Z arena !?
after last night i might be spending more money on the house, so Z progress might be slow! part of my roof flew off at 6am this morning!

I'll watch the roadster progress with interest though - glad i could help get that underway!

good thing is at this end of the project is that it's a bit more time more than money... for now anyway.

I've decided i am going to go the RB way so the next big dollar items is the lump - about $2500+ for motor / loom etc, about $1500 for the trans....
I've already sourced some steel RB30 engine mounts that i can cut up / modify. This will all happen once the body is in epoxy and protected.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:46 pm

anyone ever seen these 350Z wheels fitted to an early Z?? :?:
obviously need 5 stud conversion etc but staggered widths is what i want and it's in the same family of course.
could look kinda cool!?? might be a bit fussy detailing on the spokes

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:32 am

350z wheels -I dont know man. I can photoshop such for you to give an idea - but they are not appropriate to the time and may prove overly apparent/distracting because of it. (18" ~ Im picturing something marketed by mattel/Hot Wheels)
The wheels can be the make or break on any car. It is worth investing in something you'll know will suit/be pleased with, but offsets etc are crucial.

I hate to see the gamble not pay off - But it's your Zed & when we all know what Watanabes or dished looks like on the 240z 8)

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 am

Keep the seventies look, and don't go too large. For the look, early Zeds need some depth of tyre in the wheel arch. Of course if you were going to race it thats something different again. Panasports look good on a 240. Did Mike take you for a spin in Samuri .
!972 240z

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:56 am

nah missed out on that, time constraints. Awesome looking car though, real beast!

Wheels were just a thought. I usually spend weeks fine tuning paint color and add-ons so they are exactly what i want.
found this pic of where i'd like to go with the style. The flares are a possibility. The color is a pearl.

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Me likey, hope you take that one as a quque for inspiration -
Here I reckon the stepped dished is more appropiate than the full flat of say a 350z wheel, as it visually maintains a smaller wheel face more inline with 240z expectations (despite low profile tyres).
In this instance the Flares also get a tick as it invokes a more racey/sport appearance intune with the mags without being vulgar.
All in all very seductive, though I'd probably be inclined to color match the met grey of the rims in liue of the chrome bumpers due to the black window surrounds & custom/modernising treatment.