Engine for the project

stick with L24?
45%
do the RB swap?
55%

Total votes: 56
ForemanNZ

Post by ForemanNZ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am

Let me know if you want the RB30DET build PDF ;)
AKA ZFETSH
Now armed with a Z32 2+0 NA

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 am

just PM'd you with email. Offer of the PDF would be greatly appreciated - cheers
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

ForemanNZ

Post by ForemanNZ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:30 pm

PDF is on its way 8)
AKA ZFETSH

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Cheers. Interesting info.
Going to try and use as much of the ZR as I can including the wiring loom through out the 240. I figure the upgrade from the old 70's stuff to the correct RB loom from the ZR is possible, just time consuming.

So...as far as I know the engine specs are:
RB30det (RB30 block with RB25de head)
Fully balanced bottom end.
ARP head bolts
GTR rings
Aftermarket turbo
Ported head
Reground cams
HD valve springs.
Etc etc

More specs coming up with the car soon. Cheers Bill!

200ZR's apparently all came with long nose R200 LSD diffs. And this along with the CV's will be bolted in the 240z for a great upgrade in strength in the rear, might need it with the RB30 engine.
The 240z will also get upgraded to the rear hubs etc from the 5 stud ZR and ill see how the brakes bolt up.
The front has 5 stud hubs that allow figment onto the Z also. I have a set of all this stuff but ill see what arrives and make a list of this to sell on.
The front brakes will be 4 pot Toyota hilux calipers. The also investigate the master cylinder from the ZR

I'd like to hope the ZR can help someone else so if there is anything the Z31 guys out there would be interested in then let me know! Had thought it might be a great race car?! The great 80's styling would be awsome on the tarmac!! Nissan race colours etc. cool.

Another update soon. Looking forward to making a start on the RBZEE!!

ForemanNZ

Post by ForemanNZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:45 pm

You can also get a rear bowl sump for it from Japan still if you need it, but you're looking around $600 last time I priced one up.
AKA ZFETSH

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:24 am

200ZR's have factory rear bowl sump.
This car had a an RB20det from factory, part of the reason for getting the car really.
ZR RB mounts allow it to bolt an RB straight into S30 chassis, no fabrication. That along with the sump save me a bit of faffing about and i can get on with everything else......

The ZR's are quite rare in that they were the first nissan chassis to have the RB engine installed and quite a short production run before they went V6, so quite unusual to even find one and being a Z31 there is alot more that can be utilised in the S30 chassis. 8)

Gee i actually sound like i know my shit! :shock: nah! just some wasted hours on the internet when i started looking at engines etc.
Best thing was i didn't have to go far to find the 200ZR! it was in the classified of this website! and located just out of Hamilton.

Apexeffects

Post by Apexeffects » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Pictures?

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sat May 25, 2013 5:22 pm

It's been a while since my last update so.....
The shell is still in its same resting place until I can get some time and proper working space to do the engine mockup.
While that might be a while away, read 'buying another house or becoming single again' it hasn't stopped me thinking about ideas of style and finishes on the finished product.

Moving more toward the 'resto modern' style the Z will now be sporting the following:
carbon fibre bumpers
Carbon taillight panels
Made the most of our great US dollar rate and they are on their way.
Not to everyone's taste but I like the finish and chrome is just so pricey! Even the stainless option for bumpers is twice the cost of carbon.Should all look great against the white paint.

Interior will still be stock red but with a few new school here and there, like using skyline gauges in the original dash.

I've also decided the stainless trim will get a brushed effect. Essentially giving it a matt finish. A lot of car manufacturers seem to be going for a similar look with brushed aluminium on interior and exterior.

Hope to be mocking up the car soon as I have almost all the new parts I need to get a rolling chassis / shell. All that is left to do is everything!! All fun stuff though.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:27 am

some more bits have arrived :D :D

Techno Toys R200 billet aluminium mustache bar - USA
R31 skyline rear calipers and brackets for the disc conversion out of australia
carbon bumpers and tail light panels - awesome pieces - USA

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Nice!!!!
All Nissans are racecars.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:57 am

So nice, love it.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:59 am

Was like Christmas until my partner found the box.....'what's all this!'... And ya get the look....
You don't buy me flowers much anymore but spend lots on your car!!!!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Another step closer....picked the RB25det Big Box and bits yesterday.
Now have everything to start the full mockup apart from a garage space!! That's in the pipeline for Christmas. Feeling withdrawal symptoms from turning a wrench. :cry: :?

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Been a bit slow on the toy for a bit.....house renovations again, only problem with buying and selling really!

Seeing a few build updates on the site, especially the 280Z build and i've been getting some renewed enthusiasm!!

Anyway the RBZ is a little closer to the end...
Enlisted the help of a good friend who is a panel wizard to finish off the finer details on the body. He'll also help me setup the drivetrain. He has full engineering workshop and hoist etc which will save alot of time wasting.
Here is a link to one of his current projects - some awesome self taught panel skills. He does old school stuff mixed with new school aswell so he knows what i'm after:
http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,27167.0.html

Bought some new bits and pieces for when it needs to roll....New shiney T3 bits. great value really and will allow some tweak-ability to the chassis. I also figured the cost of having all the factory stuff cleaned and powdercoated was better spent on these bits!? :D
I'll get some coilovers from T3 at later date but the Tokico strut/spring set will do for now.

so the wanted listed is a little shorter.

motor and box are there for mockup. - done
Big brakes - done.
suspension - done
new windscreen - done
carbon bumpers - done
when she's finish painted i've got all the interior / seal / reskinned dash etc etc just waiting for fitments.

When the house reno is done i'll have the time to pull out all the boxes of little bits that take time to complete, like cleaning wiring looms! and start ticking those off.

Still along way to finish but it's happening

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Wicked!
All Nissans are racecars.