Newbie - Project Z build - RB swap?

New to the site? Say hello here!
badhabit

Newbie - Project Z build - RB swap?

Post by badhabit » Tue May 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi All,
Just thought i'd introduce myself and my new toy.
I bought a '73 240Z from a forum member - old_dato_fan - Mike. Cheers Mike
Some of you may know the car. It's been stripped to bare metal and awaits a rebuild / refurb / update.
I've had 2 previous S30's - LH240Z - a early '70 canadian import that i rebuilt the engine an added some 17' wheels etc (now down south i believe?). and a pretty average pale yellow one a few moons ago. Enjoyed the Z experience and now after years of rebuilding VW's it's time to build a Z properly! :D

Plan is to rebuild the body to original specs - white with red interior (or black not certain) with a few upgrades - suspension - brakes etc. The car comes with a 'new' long engine that i'll complete initially and then with a future plan of an RB25det swap - although it might be best to do that straight off?? Mike has told me there are a few RB builds on the forum? love to get some comment on the swap. I've got some fabricating skills so don't see it being to much of a drama. Love the thought of modern gear under the stylish shell. I'm also building a factory '66 convertible beetle that has full fuel injected '99 mexican beetle running gear so it's the only way to go as i see it :wink:

Going to pick up the car at Queens Birthday weekend and trailer it back to auckland - Road Trip!! about 1200k's in 2 days.

I'll post up the car / build soon.

Again all comments on RB swap appreciated / best links etc

Cheers. Chris

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue May 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris. You could do a progress type thread similar to Gaijin's. Really interesting for us to the progress too. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue May 18, 2010 7:51 pm

yeah i'll do something like it.
Looking forward to doing something with some go!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue May 18, 2010 8:02 pm

trying to post a pic on here but there doesn't appear to be an add attachment function? or is it only via url address?

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue May 18, 2010 8:10 pm

well done and welcome. Mike 240z is a good base to start with - better than others that come up for sale every now and then - you know what you are getting with that car ;)

Not sure if you remember but Dad purchased your S31 aka Fairlady Z (green) that you had sometime ago. Anyway I have a 260z 2 seater that is getting a RB install however non turbo setup. You can check out pics and old info on my site http://nzeder.net I plan to get stuck in to the car in the coming weeks/months and have it back on the road soon (after 13 - make that 14 years)

Cheers
Mike

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris.

I look forward to watching the build progress and I know I am going to regret not doing the rebuild myself but there are only so many hours in a day and so many spare dollars to spend on toys. I now have no reason to not get stuck in to the rebuild on the Roadster and the plan is for that to be back on the road within 12 months.

And for those wondering, SAMURI is no longer for sale and will be staying in the now much smaller collection for the forseeable future.

And once Chris has collected the 240Z and all its bits and pieces there may just be a really good sort out of the remaining parts and there may be a few interesting things for sale.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 pm

hey mike! almost forgot i ever had the S31. It had a ZG nose from memory?
Yeah there isn't much second guessing whats under paint etc with the new car. Still trying to post a pic??
Just got to prep it for an epoxy primer as soon as i get it home.
I think i've driven more miles in my 3 Z's than i ever have in my 30+ VW's they just aren't that nice to drive and i always worry about oil leaking everywhere! 50+ year old technology i guess!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed May 19, 2010 7:11 am

first dibs on the interesting stuff please mike!
Glad i could help get your other project underway.
Looking forward to picking up the Z.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 am

badhabit wrote:trying to post a pic on here but there doesn't appear to be an add attachment function? or is it only via url address?
Upload your photos to a photo host somewhere like www.photobucket.com, then cut & paste the "IMG" code (the bottom drop down of each pic) onto the forum here. 8)

old_datto_fan wrote:And for those wondering, SAMURI is no longer for sale and will be staying in the now much smaller collection for the foreseeable future.
Great to hear you're hanging onto SAMURI. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:15 am

Hi Chris. Was LH 240Z the car that belonged to a B Fensom, Z Club member some 10 years ago?
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

Pest

Post by Pest » Wed May 19, 2010 9:24 am

badhabit wrote:trying to post a pic on here but there doesn't appear to be an add attachment function? or is it only via url address?
I fiddled the knobs and turned the dials, try now.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed May 19, 2010 1:56 pm

us2 wrote:Hi Chris. Was LH 240Z the car that belonged to a B Fensom, Z Club member some 10 years ago?
yeah that sounds like they guy. I bought it only to discover when i drove it home that the head gasket had blown. My bad for not checking before hand. was cheap enough and enjoyed the rebuild. Another 'chris' bought it from me - think he is a member also. cheers

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed May 19, 2010 2:00 pm

pest wrote:
I fiddled the knobs and turned the dials, try now.
ah ha! cheers!

pic of the body as it sits now
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (99.81 KiB) Viewed 7437 times

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Looks like the sound beginnings for a good car Chris. Great to see another being saved. 8)

In the US where they are still fairly easy to find, S30s that have succumed badly to the tin worm,are being rebuilt.
Last edited by us2 on Sun May 23, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun May 23, 2010 10:32 am

From one newbie to another, welcome to the forum Chris!

I have nothing but admiration for you guys who undertake major rebuilds - great vision and tenacity. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers

Andy