Standard 280zx 2.0L to 2.8L Conversion

Answer to most of the common technical questions
wittsend

Standard 280zx 2.0L to 2.8L Conversion

Post by wittsend » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:40 pm

My parents are looking to buy an '83 Fairlady Z Import which according to the Report has a 2.0L Engine with a manual g/box. Is it straight forward to swap this out with an L28E? Does the computer need to be changed and/or the loom at all different?
"If it aint broken...."
Pull it apart anyway and find out how it works!

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Why don't you send "240z" a pm, he's talking about selling his 280zx.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

djz

Post by djz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 pm

It'd be best to swap the computer, it will run with the L20E one though. From memory the looms should be pretty much the same, maybe some differences with the idle control bits and pieces. You'll probably need to change the air flow meter if you change the computer.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:17 pm

My fairlady (260z) had a 2.0 in it, is also fuel injection. Is a straight swap for the engine but you will need to change some of the fuel injection parts, The inlet manifold on the 2.0 litre was smaller. Am still running the 2.0 ECU. Is very doable but would be best to have a complete engine and fuel injection system. Thats what I did and used a mixture of parts. My guess is the 2.0 car will have a lower raito diff. No probs with that but I use 5th gear a lot more.
Bernie Kant
Club President

wittsend

Post by wittsend » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:27 pm

Great thank you. Helps a lot. Oh yeah I think I spotted you in Papakura on saturday DJ :) I was heading onto the motorway to meet up for the convoy to taupo.
"If it aint broken...."

djz

Post by djz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh, really? Yeah, I'm a resident of Papakura for the next three weeks, was probably heading to the Top Gear show thing.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

wittsend

Post by wittsend » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:20 pm

yeah i was sitting at the lights on beach road waiting to go on towards the motorway. and i saw you zip by from chichester to elliot st
"If it aint broken...."