Hi there fellow Z owners.

New to the site? Say hello here!
asyado

Hi there fellow Z owners.

Post by asyado » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi there, I've just joined this site and hopefully soon to the club as well shortly. I purchased a Fairlady Z back when I was 17 (1987) and it was registered as a White Datsun 200Z Fairlady as it was one, an import from Japan and two, it has a 2L motor in it as opposed to the normal 2.4L motor( the Jap who owned it before me must have been bloody short as the seats both have 2 1/2 inch spacers under the seats and I'm 6ft 3). Back when I first bought it I was working as an apprentice mechanic and with youth on my side back then, I drove my Z to the max which led it to soon expire in a engine meltdown lol. I rebuilt the motor a further two times but had continuing problems with a water gasket leak between 3 and 4 cylinders on the drives side of the block even after having both the block and cylinder head being resurfaced. I was told by a machine shop tech that the reason might be that the cast iron block might be porus but after the last overheating meltdown I had begun to spend my money on other interests, had 3 busted relationships with step kids in tow and so sadly me car to this day has been sitting in storage/garages awaiting for it's day of glory to once again see sunlight and tarmac. I'm in the Wairarapa and hope to meet up with some of the Wellington car club members and gleen some advice through here, as I'm not sure as to whether I wish to keep me Z original totally or to modify the body and go for a complete motor change. Me Z is a total rebuild as rust took hold of me car like cancer and the only reason I have keep it all these years is that the rust never got into the chassis, it's all suface body panel rust. I hope to be able to post some pic's of me Z in the future as I get stuck into the rebuild and look forward to meeting some other fellow Z and Datsun car owners who have the same passion for driving one of these beautiful cars, cheers and catcha's later. Asyado.

Pest

Post by Pest » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Welcome to the forum :D

There's a Wellington meet in march which will give you a chance to meet they guys down there.

kiwi303

Post by kiwi303 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:09 pm

If you want to pop a new motor in, theres a L20A in hamilton I'm watching on trademe, might be easiest to drop that in your car rather than rebuild the existing motor yet again if you choose to go original :D

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, neat that you've kept your Z all that time. 8)

Here's the link to the Wellywood/Kapiti meet Pest referred to.
http://www.zclub.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=1627&test=test

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Welcome Asyado,

More details about the Wellington event will be updated soon and we would love to see you there.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Welcome to the forum and hopefully the club(its a bargain), you will find plenty of resources amongst the crew here particularly if you get involved at events. I don't know what I'd do without fellow club members helping me, laughing at and with me, aggravating me and donating time, wisdom and sometimes parts and labour.

asyado

Post by asyado » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi there, thanks for the welcomes, I've just seen the link to the Taupo track weekend for the end of this month, it certainly looks to be a fun filled weekend had by all. I can't think of nothing better than a Zed gett'in it's throat cleared and do'in what it was designed and built for. I will put my hand up and say that in my crazy younger days my track was the Rimutaka's between Wellington and the Wairarapa, I had lots of Adrenalin and not much brains, hav'in the grace of time on my side, I'm thankful that I never wrecked anyone else's lives or mine for that matter thro my own stupidity back then. Now that I have scraped thro to my 40's my thoughts have turned and I fully embrace controlled track day meets for which I have been do'in it but only on two wheels, from up skilling sessions to standing and fly'in quarter miles. I'm not sure if my Zed'y will ever reach the speeds at which I can get on my bike but knowing it's in a safe controlled environment for spectators and fellow racers is what makes us all smile and drive or ride home to bring in the next pay packet for the next adventure. If I personally don't get to Taupo, then let me say "I wish all of you's who attend a fun filled day of racing and remember insanity is only one gear change away, lol" Thanks again for the welcomes, hope to meet some of you's in the not too distant future, cheers.