300zx power steering!

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
cruisezx

300zx power steering!

Post by cruisezx » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Hi! this is my first time here. I own a 1990 300zx non turbo manual since 2002. I now have a problem with the power steering that my mechanic has not been able to fix. First the pump was changed, no go! We then changed the selanoid which I believe is designed to change it it to sports mod at high speed, someone might like to comment on just that. Either way it has not fixed the problem of the power steering disengaging 200 metres down the road. In other words the steering gets to be hard or stiff very quickly after start up. Is there anyone in the Zclub that may be able to shed some light on how I can fix this. Any help would be much appreciated...cruisezx

geordieggg

Post by geordieggg » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:13 pm

Get your speedo checked. I know some of these were fitted with power steering that was speed related, i.e. the faster you go, the less power assistance you have.

Reason I know this is because we fixed a speedo for one quite a few years ago, company I worked for did speedo & gauge repairs. Little old lady owned the car, and just about every time she hit a bump, the speedo shot around to 220kph, and bye bye to power steering.

Got the speedo sorted, and the steering was fine. So maybe you've got a similar problem. Is the speedo working properly, not working, or jumping around all over the place? Not to say this is the cause of your problems, but it's a different place to look..................

cruisezx

Post by cruisezx » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi! geordieggg....thanks for the reply, the speedo works fine meaning it indicates the correct speed that I am doing and is not jumping around at all. I will certainly tell my mechanic tomorrow though, as you say its another place to look....thanks.

ForemanNZ

Post by ForemanNZ » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:37 pm

Run a temporary bypass so that the steering is no longer speed sensitive and see if this fixes your problem - Harvey at Forrest Hill Motors did this for me years ago which fixed my power steering problem, and I was happy to keep the temporary fix as a permanent fix!
AKA ZFETSH
Now armed with a Z32 2+0 NA

submax
Z Club Member

Post by submax » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:25 pm

Don't mess about contact the Z expert Dave Turner ph 09 276 7376. He will know what to do no messing.
Cheers