The new website is sweet!

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
Pest

The new website is sweet!

Post by Pest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm

2 years ago to fullfill a childhood goal I purchased a yellow 1977 Datsun 260Z 2+2.

I was all enthusiastic about being a Zed owner and meeting more of my kind. I hunted out the Datsun Z Club and dutifully filled out the membership form, enclosed my cheque and posted it. Anxiously I waited to discover what wealth of activities and gatherings I was about to become a part of, but alas, although my cheque was banked just days later I have never to this day heard or seen anything from it :(

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter about it (well, not much) the experience merely adds to my glee that the club has apparently been revitalised by a change of leadership and this new-fandangled website.

Being an ex-web developer myself I had looked at the old site on more than one occasion imagining how much better, how much flasher it could look. What I imagined wasn't far off what has been achieved here, congratulations. :D Yay for PHP!

So, I'll be watching the forums for a while, and sending off another cheque for another year (I'm a sucker for punishment) and hoping that 2006 is a year of activity and Z car oggling.

If you're interested, I've just begun stripping down my Z (which has been off the road for some time) for reconditioning, performance enhancement and some rust work. Pics can be found here:
http://pics.itsd.co.nz/index.cgi?folder ... y%20begins
and I will add more as time goes by.

Go the Z Club!
Last edited by Pest on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the site. I see your Zed has the bonnet vents. So this should make it a late 76 or above Australian Market car. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the club in the past. I have heard this sorry a number of times now and I am sure the new committee are trying to correct past wrongs.

Pest

Post by Pest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:59 pm

In case no-one noticed, you can't vote on the poll on the homepage.

I get "This vote is for registered users only, please log in to vote." but there's no login link :?

Brock365

Post by Brock365 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:08 am

I look over this site fairly often. Each time I come and want to leave a post or look at members only bits I have to login. This is despite the fact each time I do, I always tick the Keep me logged in box
Any ideas
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:37 am

Brock365 wrote:I look over this site fairly often. Each time I come and want to leave a post or look at members only bits I have to login. This is despite the fact each time I do, I always tick the Keep me logged in box
Any ideas
it's most likely a browser at your end, make sure cookies are enabled

what browser are you using?
I Currently Don't own a Zed

Brock365

Post by Brock365 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:28 pm

Im using Microsoft Internet Explorer, with Windows 98. In privacy setting menu cookies are enabled on medium
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:20 pm

Brock365 wrote:Im using Microsoft Internet Explorer, with Windows 98. In privacy setting menu cookies are enabled on medium
try setting your security level to low and see if that fixes the problem.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:09 pm

I will look into the issue for you guys, it might take some time - what with work, family and rebuilding a 260Z, surf'n the web...I will find the time :)

Pest

Post by Pest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:53 pm

nzeder, back when I was thinking about how the site could be redesigned I re-did the z-car black/white brushwork image by hand as the one on the homepage is a little...pixelated.

You can find it here

I also scanned and cleaned up a Z cutaway from a book, which is here but there are probably legal problems with using that.

Feel free to use them. If you want them as something other than PNGs (IE doesn't like them much, Firefox loves them) let me know and I'll convert them from the original photoshop files.

:D

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:55 pm

you have done a lovely job on air-brushing that car dude!

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:06 pm

sweet the images looks great - I am a firefox guys also :) so what did you use to clean them up with. I don't have photoshop I just badly use the GIMP

Pest

Post by Pest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:02 pm

Just Photoshop. I can't get my head around GIMP, props for using it though! Open source software rocks.

For the brush-car I drew paths around the original image to get it looking nice. It means it's nicely scalable too without loosing any of the antialiasing and I can add/move/remove the drop-shadow as I please.

I did the header (logo and menu stuff at the top) of this site with photoshop and a bunch of other stuff, it's my favorite program to play around in.