5 speed conversion

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Rusty260

5 speed conversion

Post by Rusty260 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Swapping my auto for a manual in my 76 260Zcoupe

These question have prob been asked before but here goes

Is there any markings on the gearbox identifying what model its is? I have had a good look but can only find random numbers that don't match up with anything

The diff on the auto is lower ratio then in the manuals 3.545auto 3.7 5 speed what effect will this have and should I swap it over aswell

Can the same drive shaft be used?
1974 260Z Coupe in pieces
1976 260Z Coupe

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Keep the diff as it is for now - I think the 3.54 standard diff makes for lazy performance and "standard" Zs are rubbish at high speed so take the lower ratio and enjoy slightly more sprightly performance........

Mike Lucas might be able to help with the gearbox - I think the 240z b box is the one to have for a standard car and you need more hp to make use of the higher ratios in the 280zx box. I am guessing so wait for someone who really knows to answer.
72 240z plus bits

Rusty260

Post by Rusty260 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:09 pm

I have all the parts from a donor 260 that I think had a five speed gear box (So the guy said) But does'nt have a very positive action when trying to find a fifth

So have a replacement diff aswell was just wondering if it was worth the effort of changing diff over at this stage or I could live with the lower ratio auto diff for a while

I also note that in some publications it shows the drive shaft having bolted joints at both ends when connected too a five speed box ??? neither of mine have that
1974 260Z Coupe in pieces
1976 260Z Coupe