Clock circuitry

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Pest

Clock circuitry

Post by Pest » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:43 pm

Since I've owned my 260 the clock has not worked. It's of little consequence since the stereo has a digital clock on it and apparently it's pretty common for the factory one to be stuffed.

I do have a compulsion though, that everything that should work _does_ work, so recently when I had the dash out I removed the clock and opened it up. Inside I found an extremely simple circuit with basic components but it was still beyond me. So I gave it to my Dad :P

He's been working with electronics his whole life so he had no trouble figuring out how it worked and fixing the broken bits. Apparently a capacitor was dead, a replacement was found at dick smith, fixed.

So I now have a working clock. :D

Why am I telling you this? Am I offering to fix yours? No. However, Dad did provide me with this little tidbit, which should be of interest to anyone who's vagely electronical and wishes to fix an old datsun clock. It is the circuit diagram with component values etc. I provide it here for historical purposes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:04 pm

It is always the same cap too :) thanks for the diagram I am sure others will find this of use.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Vitch Vun Voz broke?

240znz

Post by 240znz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:53 am

Replace it with a flux capacitor.
Zed NOT Zee

12/70 HS30-00352
1973 240Z rust car

Brock365

Post by Brock365 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Does anyone know if this is the same for the 280ZX clock?
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:28 am

Anyone know how to adjust the clock as always loses time.
All Nissans are racecars.

nzdatman

Post by nzdatman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:57 pm

thanks for sharing that. I have 3 clocks, one is from a JDM fairlady and tells the date as well. Hopefully I can get one of them to work.
I have a Datsun 1600 as well, the clock loses about 5min/day. Annoying. So if you find out how to fix ZMAD let us know.
I don't know what it is with datsuns and clocks?

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:49 pm

nzdatman wrote:thanks for sharing that. I have 3 clocks, one is from a JDM fairlady and tells the date as well. Hopefully I can get one of them to work.
I have a Datsun 1600 as well, the clock loses about 5min/day. Annoying. So if you find out how to fix ZMAD let us know.
I don't know what it is with datsuns and clocks?
Depending on the model of the JDM Fairlady Clock you have you might not get it too work if it is the model that requires the oscillator which if you can find one is around the $200+ USD and they are NLA anyway. However there is a version that does not require this unit - it is ID via the single knob the ones with 2 require the oscillator (these are known as the Rally Clocks)

These JDM clock fetch good $$ and I might sell the one I have as I will not be running a clock now.

nzdatman

Post by nzdatman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:58 pm

mine has a single knob, it has worked in my car, when I first put it in

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:04 pm

nzdatman wrote:mine has a single knob, it has worked in my car, when I first put it in
cool then is just the calendar clock not the rally clock - I have the same one.

Pest

Post by Pest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:20 pm

ZMAD wrote:Anyone know how to adjust the clock as always loses time.
On mine there was a little plastic bung in the back of the housing (really only accessable when the dash is out) which, when removed, gives access to a flat blade screw head which adjusts the spring tensioner. Turn one way to make faster, the other to make slower.

nzdatman

Post by nzdatman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 pm

wow, I hope it's the same case for the 1600.

wittsend

Post by wittsend » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:11 am

I think the 280ZX clock is different. I may be wrong, but isnt the S30 clock analog? The clock in my 280ZX is digital with a stopwatch and date function, and I'd imagine the circuit diagram is different too. (Can't be sure, cos ive never had mine out)
"If it aint broken...."
Pull it apart anyway and find out how it works!

nzniggles

Post by nzniggles » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:15 am

I think the 280ZX clock is different. I may be wrong, but isnt the S30 clock analog?
The title of the picture is ........
Datsun mechanical clock circuit diagram

wittsend

Post by wittsend » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:00 am

Ok buddy thanks for pointing that out for me.
Since your so gud at it, why dont you point it out for our friend up above asking about the ZX clock as well?
Obviously you know more than I, and despite my effort to help here, I apologize for even opening my mouth.
"If it aint broken...."
Pull it apart anyway and find out how it works!