z club race meetings

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
nzdatman

z club race meetings

Post by nzdatman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:09 pm

Hi guys,
good to see the forum up and running and a lot of interest in the club. being from Taupo I haven't been able to make it up to any of the club events yet- zed not running probably doesn't help with that...
I was wondering however is the club still interested in racing and running track days like it used to? probably just the motivation I need to get my car up and running and as I'm sure you all know we have a brand spanking new racetrack here in Taupo and I haven't seen a zed on it yet! (have seen a ZX though)
puke would also be good, close to auckland as that seems to be where the majority are. are the current members into racing?
cheers,
Morgan

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:54 am

Hi Morgan,

I am sure the club would be keen to do this again and the new Taupo track would be a good place, central and good for aa driver-training day. Like you I wish my zed was on the road :( does anyone have an idea on the cost of hiring the new track?

Cheers
Mike

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:53 pm

300zx club is running a day on 4th June will be info here soon we hope.

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:03 pm

I have a leaflet around somewhere, with the rates in it - the full circuit is quite expensive, but they can have two smaller circuits running at the same time which are cheaper.

But its a big ask to run a race day (with the proper precautions ie full MANZ sanctioning) and I dont think we are there yet

besides I for one am not going to hack up my car to put a cage in it, which is what is required these days.

Bent or stg-1/4 sprints would be a lot easier to run from a people and regulations viewpoint , and maybe we can even get an invite to someone elses??

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:30 pm

OHHHH!!!!! INVITE!?
I should explain who I am then,
My name is Glenn Im from the 300zx club, if you go to nz300zx.org then go to the forum, then to events for all you will see you have an invite to our meeting.
We are at present talking with members from your club and trying to sort out a legal way for you guys to attend if you wish, I hope Ive not ticked anyone off by posting this now, I do intend to formally join your club also but am waiting for things to become a little more settled etc. So yeah Sun 4th June Taupo race track on track number two (2.2km circuit) will be a great weekend hope we can have some of you guys attending.
as far as I know you dont need a cage to use the track!?

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 am

I'm not entirely sure that a cage is required...

Having seen many Ferrari's and Lambo's racing around at track days and they sure as hell don't have cages (well except for the georgous sounding 360Challange)

Manfield is generally about the best track that I've seen for track days... (Not that I've actually driven in any of them... my zed is too shit atm :P)
I Currently Don't own a Zed

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:20 am

As far as I am aware a cage is only required if a race is occurring and then it depends on the type of race, type of meeting, type of cars - please see the Motorsport NZ website for more info. Glenn I am sure you have not ticked anyone off - I personal think it is great idea to join each other as much as possible to help providing both clubs/members with events that they can attend.

I think what Bruce was getting at is that the club is not in a position to hold a full race meeting like we used to annually at Pukekohe Park Raceway. This is whole different kettle of fish, compared to a driver training day on the track or gymkhana, drag, bent sprint (all single car). Once you starting having more cars on the track at a time then safety is paramount and this is where Motorsport NZ comes in with its policies/regulations (see this for Motorsport regulations http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Regs/regulations.htm)

Now there is nothing wrong if a track is hired by a non Motorsport Associate Club and you can do what you like (with-in the rules of the track rental agreement). However if an accident occurs and someone is injured (or worse killed) then like any road accident with an injury/fatality the police must be informed = someone will get charged. If however the meeting is held under the Motorsport NZ regulations and by an Associate Club (and the correct fees and applications forms completed etc) and the same thing happens then there is a level of protection from prosecution (unless it is the result of complete negligence)

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue May 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Hi everyone, first posting. I see Capri Club running a sprint event Queens Birthday on the FULL Taupo track. It would be good to see some other zeds at the Capri Car Club meet. http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~irpac/capri1.htm

This is a MANZ event so a club licence is needed and cars are subject to safety audit. Roll cages are not needed. A few 300ZX's would be welcome I am sure and the Capri Club and the Z club used to hold meetings together I believe.

I am keen to find a series for my newly purchased and gradually improving middle of the field Zed as it appears the Leisuretime and Tracer series are not open to Zeds anymore. Any suggestions?

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue May 09, 2006 9:12 pm

well I hope you guys do get some speed events - I think at the moment our best chance is to cadge an invite to others events! If you hear of anything, use this site to get together a bunch of us to represent the Zeds. I'm past racing, but if theres some stg 1/4 sprints going .......!

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Thu May 11, 2006 8:06 am

mungyz wrote:OHHHH!!!!! INVITE!?
I should explain who I am then,
My name is Glenn Im from the 300zx club, if you go to nz300zx.org then go to the forum, then to events for all you will see you have an invite to our meeting.
So yeah Sun 4th June Taupo race track on track number two (2.2km circuit) will be a great weekend hope we can have some of you guys attending.
as far as I know you dont need a cage to use the track!?
web page4 now set up for entries www.blazt.biz/300/events/taupo06 or some thing like that any way, rite now there are issues with our club site so you cant go there it will be sorted soon we hope.