Z32 Help for people with same problem!!!!

Answer to most of the common technical questions
xz003

Z32 Help for people with same problem!!!!

Post by xz003 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 am

Hey guys just a quick post for those that have this problem i tryed countless internet searches but came up nil so hope this helps!!!!

For the z32 owners!!!!

About a month ago i was having trouble with my z where it was cutting out on me under acceleration spitting and spluttering and finally dieing out on me but would run sweet at idle honestly the first thing i thought was i had a vacume leak somewhere so i done a leak test but came up normal then i thought id do an ecu code check came up sweet aswell so i had figured it must be a turbo problem the very worst of things for about 3 months i was without a car because i thought this was it. Frustrating as it was so many hours looking under the hood so much gas wasted i gave up! found a forum finally i thought i might hav answers they suggested i check the AFM as it can get buggered after awhile so i checked it out cleaned it in and out got it looking brand new stuck in turned the car over NOTHING NO DETONATION honestly at this point i was ready to put sledge hammer to car!!! my luck soon changed i had stuck a new radiator in a few weeks before it played up because the original plastic one had cracked and split at the main hose inlet raplaced it with an alluminum one so checked that out and it looked fine until i found one of my PTU harnesses had come out right under my intercooler hose on the right side where id have to bloody look hard to see plugged her back in cranked her over BOOM straight away engine fired up crystal smooth took her for a blat and mint she was back to normal so if you guys are having similar problems check that area first all that time blood and sweat all over a damn PTU harness lol

Cheers
WILL WAKEFIELD

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Yep, the first series PTU has caused much grief for many.
Nissan actually had a recall of them in the US, replacing them with a more reliable and smaller unit.
(http://www.cazracing.com.au/catalog/pro ... cts_id=260)

If yours is mounted on the Timing cover, you may wish to relocate it away from that area (which is a high heat (engine temperature) location/causes the plastic plug socket to move/loosen)
I easily installed mine under the center nose panel, much cooler, and cleans up the appearance of the engine bay.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Will. Great to hear the issues were resolved. 8)

Our "Kapiti Collector" will probably be organising another meet for the Wellywood crew, so keep your eyes on the events threads. 8)

xz003

Post by xz003 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Cool bananas guys have successfully relocated ptu and a meet in wellington will be great contemplating the south island tour aswell cheers and a half guys.