South Island Tour

Ideas, past and coming events
Z Club
Committee Member

South Island Tour

Post by Z Club » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:01 pm

One of our South Island Members has floated the idea of a South Island tour possibly Late October / Early November 2009

If you are interested can you please post above for us to gauge interest.

The plan:

The idea is to get a crew(se) of cars together to tour the South Island, some of the best drivers Roads in the country, if not world, to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the 240z Launch in late October early November 2009. This could also double to include 300z owners celebrating 20 years since the launch of their car.

Day one I thought we could all meet in Picton and head across to Nelson, take in the car museum and maybe drop in on the Nissan Dealer if they would host us, (this could happen all around the Island possibly) then head south for a soak in the hot pools for the night.

Day two would be a cruise out to the West Coast and a sampling of the many Natural beauties, and perhaps some culinary ones as we wend our way to the glaciers.

Day three would be a walk on the ice, if this isn't fitted into day two, and then a very enjoyable ride through the rain forests and awesome Haast Pass to Wanaka and on over the Crown Range to Queenstown. Maybe being able to take in the 'Race to the sky' hill climb road as we wind up the Cardrona Valley. Over night in Queenstown, adventure capital of the world, to use up any adrenaline left in the body and dinner at the gondola, what a view.

Day Four could take in Milford Sound on our way to Invercargill, via the South coast. We could visit our first Race track here, Teretonga Park Raceway, the most Southerly Race track in the world! (It'll be late spring so the weather should be warming up!!!)

Day Five, the Catlins and on to Dunedin, pushing on for Timaru and Levels Race Way, taking in Oamaru and its Historic Precinct.

Day Six sees us in Christchurch, Ruapuna Raceway and then on for a soak at Hanmer Springs overnight, before

Day Seven, (Heaven) the Jaunt back to Picton, via the inland route to Kaikoura, and that amazing coastline.

Seven fairly full on days, start Sunday finish Saturday, lots of driving, but no one day too strenuous, all days requiring a bit of commitment, with options to cut corners if people felt they needed a rest. Biggest day would be about 5-6 hours driving, punctuated by breaks of interest.

Appealing?

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:40 pm

No Targa is October/November :( but love the idea - ohh to have a zed on the road again.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Like nzeder, Targa rules out late October for me but would consider it if late November, early December.

zara

Post by zara » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Early December sounds great because school's finished :D
Me and some school friends are already planning a 9 car 36 people cruise, maybe I'll follow some similar paths and hopefully catch the Z convoy at some point? Just a thought really.

classicdat

Post by classicdat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:41 pm

looks like late Oct. early Nov isn't a go, Early Dec. would mean more time to save up, and to get a good sized group together.
If you are interested but the Oct Nov date doesn't suit when would be the best timing of this run?
Is 7 days too long, or too short (for the distance covered), is the whole of the South Island a big ask?
I think this would be an awesome trip and am keen to be involved, I have driven my Z over many of these roads and loved it, and would definitely love to do it again.

RPV1

Post by RPV1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Hmmmm... Zed back on the road by Labour Weekend... already in Christchurch... 6 weeks leave in the bank.... Hmmmmmm...

Could be interested folks, watching firm dates with interest.

Jabo

Post by Jabo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:08 pm

I prob wont be able to commit a whole week but I would love to catch up with other zed enthusists when your in christchurch

240znz

Post by 240znz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 am

On holiday in Aussie early Nov. But it's the kind of thing I need to get my arse into gear and finish the project.

If it's early December then I may be able to make it.
Zed NOT Zee

12/70 HS30-00352
1973 240Z rust car

Red eyeZ

Post by Red eyeZ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:23 pm

this would be an excellent trip because the south island roads are perfect for Z cars especially through haast and if you havent seen the west coast then your truly missing out on the beauty nz has to offer . Those of you who have been down the west coast would agree with me entirely .I would be intrested in doing the trip but im currently in Queenstown and my Z is up north in Masterton and its not ready yet but hope to have it going before december . I was planning to go up and get it at christmas time but might go up earlier if this trip is comfirmed . I would only do half the trip and stay in QTN though.

classicdat

Post by classicdat » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:13 am

Well sounds like it could be a go, with cars joining as it suits and dropping off when they are home or have gone far enough. I'm keen on the West coast, it is an awesome drive, took the Z on honeymoon through there, fantastic, and yes 'Z country'!
A ChCh Z owner has floated the alternative idea of a 1/2 SI trip done over night, an upper South Island trial, Average speed stages, starting 3pm Saturday, finishing 9 am Sunday, no accommodation, and some great roads, eg. inland routes from Cheviot to Waiau, (near Hanmer Springs) then back out to Kaikoura, what roads, then the senic coast to Picton. right round the top to Nelson, down the top end of the coast to Greymouth, (probably not all the best roads on the coast), then back to CHCH via Arthurs Pass. Would be quite an event, and could be abit more manageable.

zara

Post by zara » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:20 am

classicdat wrote: A ChCh Z owner has floated the alternative idea of a 1/2 SI trip done over night, an upper South Island trial, Average speed stages, starting 3pm Saturday, finishing 9 am Sunday, no accommodation, and some great roads, eg. inland routes from Cheviot to Waiau, (near Hanmer Springs) then back out to Kaikoura, what roads, then the senic coast to Picton. right round the top to Nelson, down the top end of the coast to Greymouth, (probably not all the best roads on the coast), then back to CHCH via Arthurs Pass. Would be quite an event, and could be abit more manageable.
that sounds great! would be keen on that!

classicdat

Post by classicdat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:03 am

October has arrived and we are into the Birth Month (if you like) of the 'Z'. Response to date has been steady, with a split between a cruise and an over night blast.
Interest in a cruise to the likes of Akaroa has been high and will probably be what we go with at this stage, even maybe to Kaikoura, using the inland routes. Either way, some interesting roads that should suit the cars and not be too strenuous. I know Doug is busy at the Moment with the Ashley hill climb, but hopefully in the next week or two we might see if the Blast could be a go, depending on the energy he has for it.
So, a Date. I'd be interested in a show of interest for a Sunday cruise in early December, this would mean if the overnight blast did go ahead on a Saturday we could all meet up for Breakfast, before heading off for the day. With interest from both ends of the Island I think Christchurch is the logical departure point.
If interested people could express their preference of December 6th or 13th that would be great.
Aaron from 'Signing on' here in Christchurch has suggested we put up some signs to raise awareness, so the sooner we get a date set the sooner we can get these. Also please pass this on to anyone you know who might be interested, Any thoughts?

kiwi303

Post by kiwi303 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:22 am

I would suggest you send a press release to the NZ Petrolhead magazine when a date is set. Would fit well in their "upcoming Event's section and might garner a few more interested folk.

edit, if the mentioned trip route about chch, waiau, picton, nelson, greymouth and back to chch is adopted. I will be sitting at Kawatiri Junction where SH6 and SH63 meet on the way from Nelson to Greymouth, waiting for you all :D make sure you stop so I can see your cars :D

zara

Post by zara » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:52 am

Might be interested for 6th Dec. All the way from Auckland lol

classicdat

Post by classicdat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:06 pm

That sounds great, it would be awesome if there are a few others that would like to make up a group to cruise to - The Mainland of 'New Zedland' Sounds like there are a few making a Road Trip up from the 'Deep South'