Z Club Karting Grand Prix

Ideas, past and coming events
badboy_428

Post by badboy_428 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:13 pm

Sorry I couldnt make it. Sounds like I missed out on an awesome night. Any chance of another one being organised soon?

Pest

Post by Pest » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Well if there's enough interest I could be persuaded to organise another one in a couple of months. I'd need 8 to 10 people to make it worthwhile.

badboy_428

Post by badboy_428 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:34 pm

I will be there if there is enought interest. Even if I have to crawl

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:00 pm

Better late than never. First I must apologise for this report delay, slacker I know but hey it is done now for all to see :)

Pics of the event can be found by clicking here

So where to I start, do I talk about the results....nah you will have to go through all this dribble first :wink:

A big thanks must go out to Luke (aka Pest) for setting up this event it had been a number of years since a few had been in a go-kart (or in the case of kart #3 slow-kart - more on this later), also to Mrs Pest (Rachel) for risking life and limb to take all the photos/action shots. Some of which involved standing on a tyre wall, holding on to a pole (Luke almost a bit of poll dancing there :shock:) and leaning as far out into the track as physically possible to get close enough to the action for the flash to pic up the speeding go-kart only to quickly jump back out of the way as one of the karts was in the normal corning stance of SLIDEWAYS

So who were the misfits behind the wheels.
Race #1
  • Car #2......Kelvin [sup](not going to let Lucas past)[/sup] Healey
  • Car #3......Michael [sup](I am no Schumacher)[/sup] Lucas
  • Car #4......Steve [sup](nice and lite and I am a Schuie) West[/sup]
  • Car #5......Dave [sup](anybody for kart parts)[/sup] Tunner
  • Car #7......Luke [sup](big guy - why are karts so damn small)[/sup] Pascoe
  • Car #9......Murray [sup](can I improve this kart before we start)[/sup] Chapman
Ok so the scene was set - with the usual banter over and everyone sitting in their karts it was time for the race to begin. Well I had no idea were others were on the grid in the first race - I was on Pole so I was thinking "sweet, if I get the jump on these guys I in with a shot" well that illusion was very very shortly shattered, well by the 1st corner actually. "Hell it has been a while since I was last in go-kart, sh#t have I put on that much weight that I am going that slow :oops:" raced through my mind - well as the laps past so did the drivers. Ok so now I am at the back of the bunch - "Well Lucas that was a GREAT start you L#$%er". Ok so I picked the slowest kart on the track (see Race #2 for more on that one). Ok so they go past me - well I thought that is not going to happen again. So when the karts came back around to lap me (as expected dam this piece of equipment....now what is the staying about blaming the tools :x) I made that kart as wide as. But not wide enough so it seemed as Kelvin got his nose up the inside in the hair-pin he took me wide and right into the tyres "Hang-on this is a non contact sport!". So that was Race #1 well that is my story and any others you hear are just lies. On the last lap Steve was leading the race but got held up in the hair-pin by us back markers so Luke was able to take the lead which he held for most of the race to take the win.

So the results
  • Pos.....Name.......Bestlap
  • 1....Luke.....23.570
  • 2....Steve...23.390
  • 3....Kelvin..24.020
  • 4....Murray..24.080
  • 5....Dave...24.170
  • 6....Mike....24.570 (1 whole second slower on a go-kart track for god sake)
Race #2 - Kelvin master plan came into action. Drivers were to swap karts so those that had the slow-karts got to drive the top of the class finishes from Race #1. So let the confusion and race begin. So time I was in the kart that finished 1st #7 and Luke the winner got my kart from the first race #3. So once again I started on Pole this time with a fast kart. And yes it was faster 1 second a lap faster :twisted: So how did Luke fear with the slow-kart #3 well not too well in fact by lap 2 he was p!$$ed off with the kart he pulled into the pits and got a new one (hell why didn't I think of that :evil:) so this time it was game-on. Excellent 2 laps down and I was catching Luke and my first kart - but yep he went into the pits. Ok so next on the list was Murray. It took a few laps to catch up to back of the field what with #3 now off and Luke charging ahead in a new kart (he’s been at this track before :?) Ok Murray down - Kelvin was next. And this is were he got the tittle "not going to let Lucas past" the laps past but I didn't :evil: Murray was now joining the battle, as was Steve and Dave with Luke gaining all the time. With the others joining in the battle I finally got past Kelvin. Excellent no-ones going to over take me this time.

A few more laps past with me in the lead :D so did I care what was going on behind hell no so long as no one was getting too close. With about 3 laps to go the race behind was getting tough Steve had Luke right on his tail, Dave was leading in second place with Murray and Kelvin in the rear. Existing the hair-pin the math did just not add up 4 into 3 was never going to work the final results was Steve in the tyres for 1/2 lap and lots of changing of positions. Now things get a little confusing what with Luke swapping karts therefore needing some timing modifications. But the finial results for race #2 match the finishing positions.

So the results
  • Pos.....Name.......Bestlap
  • 1....Mike.....23.720
  • 2....Luke...23.930
  • 3....Dave..23.530
  • 4....Kelvin..24.030
  • 5....Murray...24.390
  • 6....Steve....24.370
With the races complete it was now time to assign points to the finishing positions - a simple formula was used. 1 point for 1st, 2 for 2nd etc. Add the points together and the one with the lowest score is the winner :)
Nissan managed to come up with a prize thanks to Manukau Nissan a Nismo mouse and mouse pad was up for grabs. Each driver had to write down who they thought was the worse driver for the night. So for my poor performance in race #1 or just because I was the lucky winner of the worse driver.

Finial results
  • 1st......Luke
  • 2nd.....Steve
  • 3rd=....Kelvin and Mike
  • 5th.....Murray
  • 6th.....Dave
So until next time - the worse driver is out of here

Mike
Last edited by nzeder on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pest

Post by Pest » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:48 pm

Haha, great report mike :D

I look forward to printing it in the newsletter.