My suspension and power steer 260z rebuild

Answer to most of the common technical questions
bernjean
Z Club Member

My suspension and power steer 260z rebuild

Post by bernjean » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi have been busy with this for some time, Quite a few mods to the front suspension. Am well into it now. I have adjustable lower arms and control rods, The big challenge has been the power steering conversion, this is my second attempted at it. The first time I had the rack mounted far to high and it was pointed out to me very kindly that I had the geometry all wrong. I had adapted it with minimal alteration to the front beam. So I started again. You can see the mods I had to make to the beam. But fitting it in place, you can see the difference. I have used a BC BS legacy power steering rack, this has had to be shortened by 25mil. This I had to out source as I don't have the expertise to do this. My thanks for those that have helped me with this. With everything in place I was about ready to put the wheels back on but-------, I have retained the Z tie rod ends, and had the tie rod arms that came of the Subaru rack, cut down and threaded. Guess what, The arms on the Z rack have left and right threads. The Subaru has not. So I now have to buy another left have Z tie rod. Last one had to come from Japan. No matter as I still have to make up the bracket and mount the power steering pump. I have found this all very challenging, and this is the first time that I have undertaken something like this, (my panel beater background helps of course) but I do enjoy the time in the evenings working on the Z. Has been a good excuse to buy some good gear. No complaints about being married to the Z from the wife, only about the spending. Like anything it all costs. EBay and trade me been very useful. Bought a urethane kit from the States, says will fit 240 - 280Z the only bushes I used for the front were on the sway bar, but the front mount bushes are 16mil and my car has a 20mil bar. Its been a bit like this all the way. Lots of challenging fun. Anyway there it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bernie Kant
Club President

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:52 pm

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bernie Kant
Club President

lozgod

Post by lozgod » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:18 am

nice job your done there ,these things take alot of time and patience to get right be worth it in the long run .did you make your own lower control arms also or were these bought ?I have been looking at getting some for my 280zx do the ?give you much adjustment
no motor no sport
78 280z turbo

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:37 pm

They have more adjustment than would ever be needed, all came from Ebay, USA.
Bernie Kant
Club President