Z32 300ZX Advice

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
loose_unit

Z32 300ZX Advice

Post by loose_unit » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Well, I've owned an old 280zx T Top, and now I'm considering getting a Z32 300ZX... I never liked their looks until recently.

I'm looking to spend around $5k which seems reasonable from what I've seen on TradeMe.

It HAS to be a manual and I'd prefer a non turbo for various reasons.

Does anyone have any advice on the Z32, like, What year is best? issues they encounter and what to look out for in a good one, how many km's do they last for ect.

Also, all opinions are welcome.
I Currently Don't own a Zed

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:19 am

Wellcome to the dark side of the force ha ha ha ha! I could dribble on forever about stuff on these cars but the best thing for you to do would be to have a look at the nz300zx owners club site www.nz300zx.net.nz you will find heaps of stuff on there HEAPS! you made need to take some of it with a grain of salt as not all our members are grease monkeys so you get the odd fairy tail or two but most of it is good stuff.
They are an old car and will have issues with electrical connections that can be hard to find if you arent on the ball, Change ALL the water hoses ASAP the whole lot one small leak can be the end of a vg30de and they arent cheap to fix (try around 7 grand for a simple rebuild)
An awesome car to drive (if its manual) you will love it to biis as long as you look after it.
Good luck finding your next baby.

CLVAGE

Post by CLVAGE » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:50 pm

Hey Loose Unit - there are a couple of Zeds for sale on the 300ZX Forum. I know of one where the guy is looking for about $4000.00 - it is a Burgundy NA - manual and has had major works done on the motor - so apparently is in good order. Good luck - i own two of them 1 x TT Auto and 1 x NA Manual - and would not have anything else.
Cheers
Clvage
Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones - But Leather and Chains Excite Me!!!!!!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:03 pm

Hey Loose Unit,

There are a few things to look out for before buying a new z32, perform an ecu diagnostic check on the car to show up any possible faults, check for cambelt last change and current mileage on speedo. Excessively worn steering wheel and seats (especially drivers one) can be a sign of the cars true mileage. The true production year of the car will be written on the seatbelt tag so check that if unsure as to year. IE 89/90

Easiest thing to do is get someone that knows these cars to look over one you are keen on.

If you need any more info give us a yell.

Slash.
"Oh, Im sorry, let me just go and get my concerned look out of the glovebox."

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:17 pm

Cheers guys!

I've signed up for the 300zx forums and will have a browser around later on after work!

Pest

Post by Pest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:06 pm

CLVAGE wrote:I know of one where the guy is looking for about $4000.00 - it is a Burgundy NA - manual and has had major works done on the motor - so apparently is in good order.
Droool. Burgundy, NA and manual, my three favorite things in a 300zx. Someone stop me before I visit the bank...

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:25 am

Don't you need a car Pest?

Pest

Post by Pest » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:12 am

Thankfully it looks like my lovely primera will come back to me in one piece (all be it covered in fingerprint dust)

However, had that not been the case I would have very seriously considered it.

My wife says it would be agreeable to own one of each model of zed, so long as she gets to drive the 350 :)

CLVAGE

Post by CLVAGE » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:58 pm

hehe why not have both - LOL - i have two zeds - but that is soooo typical of a female - LOL
Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones - But Leather and Chains Excite Me!!!!!!

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:41 pm

CLVAGE wrote:hehe why not have both - LOL - i have two zeds - but that is soooo typical of a female - LOL
quit hogging all the Zed's :P

I want one :)