Karl's 240z Project :)

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Grunzter

Re: Karl's 240z Project :)

Post by Grunzter » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:39 pm

Once you are in Imgur, do the following:
- go to your 'images'
- 'click' on the photo you want to share
- It goes to that image, and a menu appears on the right.
- Choose the size of the image you want below, such as 'Large Thumbnail' (thats what i use)
- 'click' on COPY adjacent to the "Direct Link" (one of the options that will appear on the right hand side)

now pop back to your Z-Club forum and 'click' on the little portrait picture image.
The following will appear: with the cursor flashing in the middle, now just press 'CTRL - V' this will copy the direct link from Imgur into the forum page

I kept trying until i found a way that worked.

PS. Cool RB setup! :)
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:27 pm

Thanks Grunzter!!!

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:53 pm

now you will need to share more photo's! :D
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Welp time for another update in my "6 month" build (Its been 7 years but who's counting)

For the first time in probably a good 4 years the car is in the same city as me and I have my own garage to work on it! I've made more progress in the last 3 months than I have in the last 5 years :lol: The only down side to having the car with me is that Dad's tools are no longer just in the other room. But dont worry I have remedied this with regular tool shopping excursions.

The car is however still not running, but I have plumbed the complete fuel system from fuel cell to surge tank to fuel rail and back. Its running a DW250iL "lift pump" into the 5L surge tank. A DW300iL main pump running through a 10 micron fuel filter.

The oiling system has also been fully plumbed with a external head drain, catch can and oil cooler set up. The only annoying thing is there is a snapped oil pan bolt. Luckily the Rb26 has 2 sets of bolts for the oil pan and I've managed to modify my pan to work with both but I'm going to have to take it back off as it wont stop weeping.

All my intercooler piping and exhaust has been completed thanks to DKM Fabrication once again

And I've just been hooking up hoses and planning out wiring runs and vacuum lines which will be my next major task and then hopefully it should be ready to turn over. Couple of pics of the engine bay, my ecu mount and my coil bracket I've made.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:49 am

Great project, thanks for posting this up, love to follow builds.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

The car has been with me for about two months now and I've been ticking away at the build. The little parts cave that was my office is now dwindling with only one or two more cardboard boxes of bits to go into the car.

My main focus has been on re-wiring the car from scratch and installing the new Link ECU. So far I think I've managed to get all the engine components run and terminated. Now I'm trying to get my fusebox and relays all set up and ran how I want. I've managed to get the headlights and wipers to work (although I dont have the intermittent function but who needs that!). I've even managed to get the indicators and hazards to work with the help of some diodes.

Check out the original wiper motor - not bad for 49 years old

I have had one problem though. I've fallen into the trap of upgrading parts that then lead to further expensive parts that are needed to run the first upgraded parts - New cam trigger needing a new fairly expensive crank trigger setup

Installed

The dash has even made an appearance with all the Speedhut gauges installed. I test fit the centre console, Nismo short shifter and R33 gear knob for wire running and it looks like I might be able to make them all work together.

As with probably everyone in the world right now the pandemic has slowed my progress; But now as we seem to be coming out of lockdown I can hopefully continue the momentum!

Should only be:
- Finish the wiring
- Get a driveshaft made
- Reconnect and bleed the brakes

And then it'll be its first test drive :twisted:

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi Karl, your car is looking great, thanks for sharing this with us.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

Small but major update on the car.

https://youtu.be/W3UiaZ7geMk

It runs for the first time in however long (about 8 or 9 years). A bit smokey and running far too fat but i'll try to lean it out a bit and let it idle on the driveway in the near future.

Turns out im not terrible at wiring :lol:

Im getting 5 carbon fouled plugs and 1 fairly clean one that I also need to diagnose. The coil is firing and as far as I can tell without pulling the fuel rail the injector is firing when I test it via the ECU.

Karl