DJ's 280ZX

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
djz

Re: DJ's 280ZX

Post by djz » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:56 pm

So while I'm sitting at home I thought I may as well start to get this ready to fit some of the bushes I've had sitting around for maybe 10 years and try and sort out some of the other little issues with the rear end.

The bushes I've had sitting around for ages were the rear arm bushes, I also got some Z31 subframe bushes that need to be modified to fit, I've started modelled up a new diff mount which I'll make when I get back to work, I still need to decide on what bushes to use for it. The front subframe mount pins are smaller than the crush tubes in the Z31 bushes so I either need to make new crush tubes or new pins, I'm leaning towards new pins.

I want to loosen up the diff a bit so James has that at the moment, also the axles have never been retained properly, one snap ring was missing and I think the other one is in the wrong position to suit the axles. I've ordered two of each type of snap ring, on the axle or in the diff and will figure something out when I get the diff back.

Also need to have a look to see if I can improve the companion flange to body interference on both sides. I would really like to do a Porsche CV conversion, but the car at the moment doesn't really need anything changed. I need to measure one of the Z31 companion flanges to see what the diameter is to see if they are bigger or smaller than the 100mm CVS, I could move the Porsche CVs in or out a little bit to help with the clearance.

I've also been thinking about selling the Z31 that I bought, as much as I like it I don't really need it.

Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:07 pm

Nice Z31, didnt know you had that!
Is it a turbo?

What picture hosting site do you use?

On a side note, do you have any coupe doors that you dont want? :)
cheers Grant
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

djz

Post by djz » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:25 pm

Yup it's a turbo, it's auto but I've got a T5 for it and most of the bits to convert it apart from a flywheel.

I use Imgur for hosting, it seems to work pretty well.

And no coupe doors sorry, I've got a pair but I need them for my other 2 seater.
Grunzter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:07 pm Nice Z31, didnt know you had that!
Is it a turbo?

What picture hosting site do you use?

On a side note, do you have any coupe doors that you dont want? :)
cheers Grant

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:56 pm

Thanks DJ.
i'll have first dibs on your other zeds old doors if thats ok.
dont need the glass...

Z31 is very cool, dont think i'll be alllowed it with my unfinishe 280 taking up the garage... :)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:13 am

I reckon that DJ must be the south island equivalent of the Kapiti Collector. :wink: :P 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

djz

Post by djz » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:22 pm

Been doing little bits and pieces on this thing since lockdown, want to get it going again soon. Decided to flag making new pins as I don't think it's really necessary. Got the Z31 subframe bushes machined so I could remove the top washer and the subframe should end up in the same location height wise, had to make some new crush tubes to suit the bush/pin size and the length. The Z31 bushes should move the subframe back about 8mm which should help with the wheel to arch clearance.

The subframe is actually out of an '83 2+2 that I parted out a long time ago. Somebody has slotted some of the control arm bolt holes and welded washers on, two of which are missing for some reason so I need to tidy up the holes and find some other washers, then get an alignment and weld them on again.

The press frame at work wasn't big enough to get the control arm bushes out so I tried a couple of different methods and settled on burning the rubber out then splitting the collar with a die grinder.

Going to loosen up the diff a little bit while it's out as well.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:56 am

...spotted the 30cal ammo tin. :)

Didn't realise your 280 was 5 stud... was it a 300zx conversion or something?
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO

djz

Post by djz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Grunzter wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:56 am ...spotted the 30cal ammo tin. :)

Didn't realise your 280 was 5 stud... was it a 300zx conversion or something?
Haha, yeah I've had that ammo tin for probably 20 years, doesn't get used for much.

And yup, Z31 stuff in the back and I've had Z31 stuff in the front before but it's S13/S14 now.