240z ANDO WERKS

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
ConnorAnderson240z

240z ANDO WERKS

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi everyone,

Some of you might of seen my post on the facebook page.
I thought it might be good to get a bit of a build thread going on here as well.

I've started a bit of a youtube channel to document the builds me and my bro are working on, including my 240z, under the name ANDO WERKS.

I got the car about 4 years ago, and originally posted about it here:
viewtopic.php?t=5412

since then i've been living in Oz but now i'm back I can finally start working on it.
I'm a mechanical engineer and i've been working through the courses from HPA (high performance academy), ETS Fab and Racecraft, so i'm keen to put what i've learnt into practice on the Z

The basic plan:
- manual swap
- sort the suspension (coilovers, bushings, ball joints, tie rods ends etc etc, maybe some T3 arms at some point)
- brakes, diff, CVs
- some nicer wheels
- ITB and Coil on Plug conversion, Wire it all up and tune it myself
- get rid of the sunroof and do all the body work, Paint
- and everything in between (we all know what project cars are like)

Trying to make a nice tastefully modified z, that I can drive all the time and enjoy! something like what MZR roadsports are doing, but a bit more affordable and japanese street style.

Anyway, heres the channel with the first 3 videos i've made so far.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_mXK4 ... J3OLnVKgDQ

cheers,
Connor

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:37 pm

Excellent Stuff Conner, I really enjoyed watching those.
I think you are rolling on my old Performance Wheels Superlites,(not super light actually )
I seem to remember your dad picking them up from me in Mt Eden ?
Keep the videos coming.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Wicked!!! Welcome back to the land of the long white cloud. Keep up the build thread, we love them!
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ConnorAnderson240z

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:09 am

stevenewenham wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:37 pm Excellent Stuff Conner, I really enjoyed watching those.
I think you are rolling on my old Performance Wheels Superlites,(not super light actually )
I seem to remember your dad picking them up from me in Mt Eden ?
Keep the videos coming.
thanks mate,
yeah sounds about right, I think dad came and got them.
Super happy with the wheels, a lot nicer than what was on it, but still only temporary till I get something a bit more special.
I was going to say! Lifting them up onto the mezzanine the other day they arn't very light at all!

ConnorAnderson240z

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:11 am

Hi guys, working on my manual swap. realised my brake booster is blocking the hole for my clutch master.
So i need to replace the booster with a suitable one.
Does anyone have one for sale or have any recommendation of where to get one?
or does anyone have any experience with brake booster deletes? from the likes of chasebays
Attachments
118228219_582606569085118_6892250172147593456_n.jpg
118142437_322994708902593_6961704322267100528_n.jpg

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:29 am

Dave Turner is selling up all his stock, so far no bargins, but maybe worth checking out...
ps. Cool build. loking forward to watching. :)
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:39 am

I have heard about people fitting a Hilux booster. There is a good chance that these are manufactured by the same factory for all makes of cars so could be a straight swap. Can you pull the old one out and go to you local wrecker and make some comparisons.
Bernie Kant
Club President

ConnorAnderson240z

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:32 pm

thanks guys,
i've heard the same thing RE the hilux booster, but never had a sure answer.
I'll be pulling it out this week and taking it to a few people that should know.

ConnorAnderson240z

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:11 pm

New video up on our channel with my brothers new car, not a Z but some people might be interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81omNYQnfDM

cheers,
Connor

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:11 am

Always interested post away
Bernie Kant
Club President

ConnorAnderson240z

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Half way solved my booster brake issue. Toyota altezza seems to be the go.
No doubt i'm going to have to change some things in the brake system later when i go to four wheel disks.
But this should work for now.

anyway heres the next video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCa4bUCVYic&t=9s

just got a bunch of parts arrive so getting ready to put it all back together.

cheers,
Connor

ConnorAnderson240z

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:21 pm

if anyone is on instagram, you might like to follow us: https://www.instagram.com/andowerks/?hl=en

I mostly post what I do daily on the 240z on there

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:42 am

Hi Connor, hey thanks for posting these up. Just love to follow what you are doing, great work by the way. I'm, going to suggest a change in the gearbox to you. I changed the 260Z one out for a Sylvia turbo, I think S13 5 speed, This was one of the best things I did to my car. Although essentially the same gearbox it gave a complete change of drive feel. Gave the car a more modern feel. Its actually an easy change, typical Nissan. You can also use a skyline Turbo box. You use the same bell housing, bolts straight up and there a couple of easy bearing changes to do. I didn't need to change the driveshaft. The gear stick comes out a little forward so a bit of an adaption to the Stick needed. There's a write up on doing this in the technical section of our forum.
I have a 3.9 diff which really suits my style of driving. I am changing the diff to a Subaru STI R180 long shaft LSD unit. These are also a 3.9 diff. To do this I am purchasing a couple of stub axles from the states that are made for this change. The original axles didn't fit the Subaru LSD. My understanding is that autos had a 3.5 ratio diff, which in my mind is far too high for a manual car.

Just a bit of food for thought. Anyway, keep the videos coming, love to check them out.
Bernie Kant
Club President

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Ditto replacing the 71B gearbox with a 71c from either S13/14 or Skyline.
Yes, my late model 260 manual also came stock with the 3.54 diff and livened up when replaced with 3.9, as stock in manual 240's.

ConnorAnderson240z

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 am

Hi guys,
cheers for the comments. I was aware of this swap and what needs to be done.
definitely still on the cards. If i had any issues with my box then that was the plan.
and if you guys say it makes that much of a difference. i'll keep my eye out for 71c box.

My diff is a 3.54, completely agree it's too long especially with stock Z power.
I'll be going for the subaru R180 swap soon hopefully with some CVs.

My intentions are too get the car back on the road in the next 6 weeks or so and then do a lot of driving and really find out what it needs.
The car will be torn back again with some big changes.
Aim is to get a good starting point for now.