L28 resurrection tips?

240z, 260z, 280z
HasMilk

L28 resurrection tips?

Post by HasMilk » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Howdy all, I hope isolation is treating you well.

My project 260z came with an L28 (P90/F54) carb motor, not installed, which supposedly ran before removal.
I've had repairs done in the engine bay and would like to get the motor in and running if possible - just to get the car moving around by itself.
I plan to replace a bunch of service parts before I fire it up, but not sure where to draw the line. This is my first carb motor and first time resurrecting a motor...

The motor is essentially in unknown condition. It's in storage back home so I can't tinker on it easily.
Other than basic serviceable parts, checking compression, etc.. am I being too optimistic? What else can I do before firing it up?

I'm not looking to do a rebuild at this time unless she turns out to be a dud.

Cheers :D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8rWPUgtn3G3XX8XL9

In a long distance relationship with my 260z

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:38 am

I'm no expert and perhaps others that know more can comment here. But these engines are pretty robust. It really depends on how long it has been sitting, you should be able to just fire it up, they don't have any real issues. If it was me I would take the head off and check it out the bores, especially if it's been sitting. Check the water pump, you could just replace it of you are taking it off. The carbys are another story if it's been sitting a would suggest that they need to be stripped and cleaned. Make sure none of the jets are sticking etc.
Bernie Kant
Club President

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Cool yea I was wondering if it was a good idea to pull the head. I can definitely strip and clean the carbys - is it worth getting a carb rebuild kit, or should I only worry if they are playing up?

I should start reading the ole' Tom Monroe book...

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:41 am

With the carbs, I think it really depends on where you are going with the car, a rebuild is always better than a tidy up. If you .lpan to keep it forever, then yes spend the money on it, If you just want a nice honest car to enjoy without doing major renovation work, give it a good clean and see how it goes. You do need to set them correctly. You may need to get help with that.

If you need physical help let me know and I will see if there is somebody in your area that can help.

All the best with your build.
Bernie Kant
Club President

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Thanks Bernie.
The car is in Nelson, but I'm not sure when I'll get down there to sort anything out. Maybe my old man can freight me the carbs to tinker with :D
I would like to overhaul the engine at some point, but don't want to commit to too much right now.