factory build sequence

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
jz240
Z Club Member

factory build sequence

Post by jz240 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:20 pm

I am nearing completion of my 260Z body prep before I start the rebuild etc.
I want to do the rebuild as close to factory as possible, but what I can't seem to find out, is at what point did they apply the underseal.
Was it as a bare body, then they installed the hoses and lines, or did they wait until the car was complete and just spray everything??
Any knowledge in the area wouls be good thanks

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:35 pm

If you do apply under seal ensure you don't apply of bare metal. Zinc rich etch, and the undercoat it first. Or paint it and spray over the paint.
Bernie Kant
Club President

jz240
Z Club Member

Post by jz240 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:01 am

thanks Bernie,
I plan to prime the under side with the factory primer colour, which appears to be a pale yellow, then underseal, but was wondering what the factory sequence was.
On one hand, if you underseal first, which I think is the most preferable, then you need to mask or scrap of areas where the hoses and transmissions mount.
On the other hand, if you underseal after assembly, then you cover everything.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 am

Underseal it before you assemble it. Mask of anything that you don't want undersealed. My advise is that you use a waterbased product and buy the correct applicator gun.
Bernie Kant
Club President

jz240
Z Club Member

Post by jz240 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks Bernie,
That was my suspicion, it makes more sense, I just remember with local assembly plants, I think they undersealed everything at the end, but I may be wrong, did anyone out there ever work for any of the assembly plant in the day?