Engine going back in - Gearbox questions - what to replace?

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
otagoz

Engine going back in - Gearbox questions - what to replace?

Post by otagoz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:09 pm

hello there

Ok -engine is on it's way back from the rebuilders after a check -over, and should be back with me by he weekend - nothing major - just new rings and a top end job

of course, I was so glad to get the engine out and away I've kind of neglected looking at the gearbox, which is still in the car

pulling down the engine i found most parts were new - water, pump, thermostats ,etc - and engine was clean and grease free - showing it's been recently looked at - confirming what i was told by the seller

So - gearbox - release bering was shiny and new, and gearbox felt good when being used; however there was a bit of grease in the bottom of the bell housing - which i cleaned away.

Any advice on what else i should look at with regards to the gearbox - how would i tell if the gearbox seals have been leaking? - and should i replace the realease bearing as a matter of course - and if so where would i get one???

Any info well received!

If i Could post a pic easily i would, but it seems a hard thing to do on this site...

Cheers

Chris

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:53 pm

The spigot bush should be swapped out as the bronze bushes flog out easily. If the clutch and release bearing are OK and appear recently replaced leave them alone. Leaks into the bell housing can come from the engine main seal which leaks easily as the rear engine bearing is first to flog out, therefore the seal is asked to deliver more than it was designed for. The front seal of the gearbox is inside the "snout" of the gearbox and should be replaced also, which can be done without removing the box by removing the 5? bolts on the snout and cracking the seal with a bar inserted through the clutch fork hole. Be careful to refit with the gasket and any shims packing the layshaft bearing in the same way as they were originally fitted. The "grease" in your bell housing is gearbox or engine oil mixed with clutch dust. When you removed the flywheel it is good to check if the source of some of that oil is the main seal by the amount of oil around the seal on the block. Having said all that it's rare to find a completely dry bell housing.

otagoz

Post by otagoz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:28 am

Cheers for that - will investigate and see how i go

Great info

Chris

otagoz

Post by otagoz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Right - sigot bush on order, as id centering tool for the clutch refittig

When I pulled the engine I did not notice any oil coming from the crank seal at the back of the engine.. And today have been cleaning off the residual gunk in the bottom of the bellhousing - looks pretty old

Have ordered a gearbox seal -presumably when i remove seal the gearbox oil will fall out, so prob best to empty 1st

Gearbox oil?- -redline gl4???? - any other gl 4 oils out there in NZ anyone would reccomend??

Cheers

Chris

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:58 pm

I typically havent been a fan of Redline Oils in the past but they may have changed.
For ages have just been using Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75-90 in everything.