1971 240Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
nustad
Z Club Member

Kit

Post by nustad » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Questions.....

Do you think you will love it in 5 or 10 years?

How critical is fit, finish, wheels and colour to make it look right?

Personally I think it looks cool and is a nice balance. However some details will age quickly.

Seen a veilside supra recently.........
72 240z plus bits

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:49 pm

nustad wrote:Questions.....

Do you think you will love it in 5 or 10 years? ................

.....However some details will age quickly.

Seen a veilside supra recently.........
Yes, a little flambouyant maybe?

reliablejunkie
Z Club Member

Post by reliablejunkie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:45 pm

I quite like it, very unique and a bit of a modern twist to an older car but ties in the lines well. When I made my front bumper out of fiberglass I took a lot of time to measure over and over a good height from the ground and distance from the front wheels to minimise any kind of scraping on curbs or speed bumps etc this one looks pretty low to the ground so hopefully it won't sacrifice actual drive-ability.
Someone had to make up for all the pollutants these hybrid cars are saving these days, so i cranked up the fuel pressure and let the engine roar.

1983 280ZX L20ET engine with an N42 head running on megasquirt ECU

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Keep up the progress. Even a little bit of progress is still a step in the right direction.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Nustad you bring up a good point and its really the only reason ive been humming and harring over it. Haha i love the veilside example you used hahaha coz ugh veilside kits look friggin terrible now but i remember how much i loved them back when they first hit the scene. I guess from that perspective the tried and true look for the Z will never get old. I dunno if a nice looking front lip and some huge fenders will ever get old (which is basically all this kit is) but at the same time... it might? Haha. Damn its just so fricken cheap right now compared to if i bought it say in 6months or a year or two. I dunno. I think im going to have to go with the old "wait 2 weeks and see how you still feel about it" trick that i usually use when im trying to decide whether or not i really want something or if its just the heat of the moment.
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:58 pm

In my humble opinion the design direction you have already achieved is cooler. Why not keep on that route. It's relatively easy to refresh and it is unique in a good way. Yuta's Z has a style all of its own and is cool because it is built not bought.....

https://zclub.nz/viewtopic.php?t=1681&v ... 99b51fd783

Speedhunters link broken.....google yuta 240z images.

Let your imagination run wild and use the z as your canvas.

I reckon that kit is very dependent on colour, fit and wheel selection. You have more options with the design path you've already kicked off.
72 240z plus bits

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Jesus. Havent posted in a while. We've been saving for a house and have just gone conditional on one in town which is pretty exciting but the car hasnt changed in 6months! Its still sitting on stands in my drive with no engine and no front end. On that note, does anybody have any fricken clue how to move a car you cant put wheels on? We're gonna be moving house soon and i cant even reassemble the front end to put wheels on it coz its all cut up and half finished. Is there some sort of car moving service that can cater for wheel-less cars? Suggestions would be appreciated guys. Cheers.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:10 pm

With no engine and no front suspension it should be pretty light
A tow trucks should be able to chain it , lift and tow it
Or go with old pallets and a pallet trolley on to a car trailer
Good luck
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:51 am

When working in the panelshop we often had that. We had a long bit of wood placed it under the car where the suspension was, and allowed it to stick out either side of the guards, four people could easily lift it and walk it around, also onto the tow truck, once the front rails were above the deck we would simply put some wood under rails and it would slide the rest of the way on the truck.
Bernie Kant
Club President

merlin

Post by merlin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:27 pm

When my 240z was less than a bare shell I made up a frame with castors and bolted it in place on the front cross member mounts and the rear moustache bar for the diff mounts. It work vey well for a few years until I needed to put the car back together. Even as a shell the thing was surprisingly heavy so beware.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Moddy wrote: On that note, does anybody have any fricken clue how to move a car you cant put wheels on? We're gonna be moving house soon and i cant even reassemble the front end to put wheels on it coz its all cut up and half finished. Is there some sort of car moving service that can cater for wheel-less cars? Suggestions would be appreciated guys. Cheers.
Two people needed for this method --->I borrowed a service station trailer, pushed it under the front and pushed the drawbar down to relief the front stands of their load, metal on metal I slid the trailer back under the car and when it reached the rear stands, I tilted again and car was on trailer. Then blocked trailer wheels and slid car on to balance the trailer, car sill seams and trailer sides were almost perfect match for locating car, coupla strops and we were away. Second person needed to push while one person is tilting the draw bar. Removal was the opposite, we did this a number of times with media blast and painting moves.

This can also be done using timber and rags to protect car paint or bodywork.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:34 pm

I still have a front cross member here that has a single caster bolted to the centre this is how I moved my shell (with the rear suspension in place but a similar setup could be done via the diff mounts with little effort) this was borrowed from another forum member who's owns it. He used it when his 240z was getting work done too. I will get you a pic in the weekend.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks for all the replies regarding moving my lady. I ended up getting a bit of 4x2 and 4x dudes and we all just hoisted the front end in the air and spun her 180deg in the driveway. Then i called a towie and he came and used some special fitting with chains etc and clamped onto the front crossmember and hoisted her up in the air. Id fitted the wide rear wheels i have and expected it to be fine haha. Boy was i wrong. We'd barely left camp and headed to town when smoke started pouring out the guards. Turns out my rear suspension is so toast that when it hit a bump in the road she sat down onto the tyres and stayed there. We had to clamp some blocks between the body and the LCAs to keep her up off the tyres all the way to her new home. And here she is :) resting peacefully until i return in October and get cracking again, working on her in earnest. Its actually quite depressing to see your pride and joy sitting there day in and day out and not able to give her any attention.