L-Series Headgasket and Bolts

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
reliablejunkie
Z Club Member

L-Series Headgasket and Bolts

Post by reliablejunkie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am

Yesterday the uni car club hired Ruapuna raceway for the morning. While I was racing a blew my headgasket out to atmosphere and now my car sounds like a tractor when I drive. My turbo is running 6psi of boost at the moment so it wasn't an overboosting situation. I did however reuse my headbolts when I replaced the headgasket last purely because I couldn't find any at the time without burning a hole in my wallet. After researching around last night I have found that BNT will provide a composite headgasket for a very reasonable price, the z store in the states provide a composite headgasket and several different width steel headgaskets but shipping is a bit of a killer when it is added on top. The Z store also sell new headbolts (180NZD) or headstuds from ARP (320NZD). Are there any shops in NZ that can supply steel headgaskets or head bolts/studs? If not then I will look at getting some stuff from the z store.

Tristan
Someone had to make up for all the pollutants these hybrid cars are saving these days, so i cranked up the fuel pressure and let the engine roar.

1983 280ZX L20ET engine with an N42 head running on megasquirt ECU

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Not sure but maybe Zilver can include on group buy?
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:04 am

If you are running a turbo or a high compression NA i would recommend a laminated steel head gasket and ARB head studs. They factory bolts even the Turbo ones are junk with myself often having to use 2 sets or more to get a head down to spec.
The bonus with the stud set is that they can be reused.
Do yourself a favour. Do it once and do once and do it right.
Sorry dont know of anyone locally right now who i would trust to get this stuff in correctly or for a sensible price. I always just get them in from the US. Faster easier and reliable.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:12 am

Also i have just looked in my garage. I dont know what thickness head gasket you need but there is a 90.5mm Bore 1.5mm Thick LS Head Gasket here which you can take. Just let me know what it is worth. May save you the freight. I also have loads of standard used head bolts ( a lot like new ) and 5 new ( still in packaging) long bolts and 4 short bolts which you are welcome to if you decide to go that route.

gman40

Post by gman40 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Tristan get a price off paul for ARB Studs and steel head gasket he will look after you ?

reliablejunkie
Z Club Member

Post by reliablejunkie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks for the reply guys. I often buy broken cars, fix them up and sell them on so I don't have to work at the bar so much while studying so I am not short of a working vehicle but nothing beats the 280zx as a daily driver. I will keep in touch with you guys and let you know what I find and for what prices for future reference.

T
Someone had to make up for all the pollutants these hybrid cars are saving these days, so i cranked up the fuel pressure and let the engine roar.

1983 280ZX L20ET engine with an N42 head running on megasquirt ECU