Auckland Paint Shop Reccomendations

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
Jaime F

Auckland Paint Shop Reccomendations

Post by Jaime F » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi guys,

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed (as i'm sure it probably has).
I've searched through posts but couldn't find what i'm looking for.

I'm after any reccomendations for paint work in Auckland (i'm in west Auckland but anywhere will do).
I have been to so many places and had such different quotes my head is spinning.

I need to have the car stripped back to bare metal and whatever rust thats found removed. Then repainted.
Full restoration, chrome work, badges, seals etc.

I know that you get what you pay for but some of the prices have ranged from 4k - 18k from places with good reviews.

I want a decent job but doen't have to be mind blowingly magazine spread good. And of course I don't want to spend through the nose either.

PS- I don't have anywhere I can do any of the work myself and wouldn't know where to start if I did.
Thanks guys 8)

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Zilver might chime in, not long since he had one of his painted.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:56 pm

You haven't thought about not painting it? Original cars (if that paint is original) are cooler and often more valuable than over restored examples after all a car can only be original once.

Looks like a wee bit of repair work has been done already on that car and it may not be a survivor candidate but do consider just minimal repair, rather than a blanket restore.

Jaime F

Post by Jaime F » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Thanks for posts guys.

Andy - It has a few bubbles showing around and rust on all the chrome etc.. therefore something has to be done before it turn to dust.

Will a fullbody restore and paint badly affect the future value compared to original?
Also, what do you mean by 'not a survivor candidate'?

I'm new to the whole classic car restoration thing but I fellin love with the car so here we go.

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 am

Whenuapai Auto refinish have done a variety of showcars. Budget at least 10k and Id only insist on 2pak automotive lacquer regardless of originality/era. In my opunion Survivor class is only worth kudos on museum kept / treasured or rare examples.
The prep and disassembly is where much of the labor costs are. But most paint shops won't guarantee or touch any car that has had any prep work carried out. Do just disassemble to the extent of your confidence. Chrome work will likely be undertaken by chrome platers elsewhere and ive found that onehunga chrome platers do great triple chrome plating at a fair price.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 am

Jaime F wrote:Will a fullbody restore and paint badly affect the future value compared to original?

I am not familiar with the model and its current rarity but going on trends for good collector survivor cars they are fetching far more than the paint and polish victims. Survivor cars by definition are always going to be rarer as well meaning restorers and modifiers empty the survivor pool.

Just be careful, your investment in restoration inevitably will not equal the finished value of the vehicle and in some cases may in fact reduce its value.

Jaime F wrote: Also, what do you mean by 'not a survivor candidate'?

Some cars just have to be almost completely restored (or scrapped) because they have gone too far.

Also a survivor car should have been well looked after during its life, be in overall very good condition and not had substantial bodywork repairs or paintwork.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:26 am

The cost is in the preparation, I suggest that whoever you chose you have a lengthy discussion around what you require and check with them what they intend to do. One of the problems you will have is that they can't price what they can't see. Be open to any hidden extras as the last thing you need is them short cutting because you are refusing to pay for extra work as you have had a fixed price.

You need to discuss the following points. Your expectations, and don't just say that you don't need show car finish. You need to clarify the type of finish you require. Look at an example that they have painted and state that that is the type of finish you want.
So: Paint striped off car, all panels stripped back to bare metal, All rust cut out and replaced with metal. For you to be advised of any inner sections that are found to be rusted before commencing with repairs. All bare metal areas to be etch primed before any filler or paint applied. Use only two pack paint products. All exterior parts to be removed and no masking of any parts for painting. All body parts to be long blocked to remove any ripples. For you to be advised of any areas that are not ripple free before final coats. To block back final coat and buff clear coat. If required. You might be happy with of the gun finish.

Type it out for them and ask them to sign it and attach it to the estimate. I would suggest that do don't ask for a quote but get a written estimate with clear instructions that you must be contacted should they need to exceed this estimate.

Pop in regularly while they are doing the work, and get them to take photos of the repairs. take your own pictures when you pop in.

When you start talking in this way you will soon enough determine who will do a good job. There is no reason you can't ask to see some of their paint work and chat with the owners.
Bernie Kant
Club President