A 280Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:01 pm

nice upgrade. They are a big lump compared to the 180!
I thought all the LSD's had finned covers?
nice the good folks at nissan made things so we can mix and match from new to old!
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:28 pm

badhabit wrote: nice the good folks at nissan made things so we can mix and match from new to old!
Particularly with the FS5W71 transmissions in all their variations A to G, not absolutely sure but I think used from 70's through to 2004 or maybe later. The worst of the R200's is there are two different output spline counts/diameters and two different crownwheel bolt sizes, the rest is easy.

seriesnz

Post by seriesnz » Wed May 25, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi. Beautiful car you have, very staunch. Could you please tell me where you got the rubber welt from for your flares, as I am about to put some Zg flares on my 260z and can't source any. Thanks, Jake.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:18 am

Getting a few small jobs done over winter.

Wanted to build a new front diff mount as the Datsun factory setup is a pretty crap design that allows the diff nose to lift under load. I had hacked a factory mount up and doweled it (essentially making it sold mount) but that was not overly ideal so had another crack at it. Thanks to Mike for the idea on this style.

Cut up the factory mount and built a jig to keep diff aligned. Welded in steel tube that fits a poly bush I had floating around.

All mounted up. Holds the diff nice and solid with no lifting issues and also makes diff easier to remove as just slide out the main bolt.

Next job was the exhaust. The car came with a nasty old press bent 2" system that I have always wanted to get rid of. It hung way low and looked shit. Decided to go with a 2.5 inch system which is way overkill for my engine but what the hell.

Hoist makes this job 1 billion times easier than trying to do under the car.

I wanted it tucked up as to the body as possible. The system that came with the car only had 2 hanging points and was one piece so wobbled like crazy and was a mission to get on and off. New system is to have multiple hanging points and be 3 piece to make removal easier. The headers I stole from Craig had a reducer taking the outlet pipe from 2.5 to 2 inch so I simply cut off the reducer and added a 2.5 inch flange to match the rest of the system.

Started with a small straight through stainless rear muffler and added a angled tip that looked OK. The rear muffler has 3 mounting points so it is nice and solid.

Then worked my way forward, trying to keep the piping as close to the body as possible

Went with a basic straight through resonator mid system. Once happy with the layout I added flanges so that I can take out the middle section of exhaust to gain access to diff etc. Then cleaned up and painted, knowing it will burn off 30 seconds after starting the car.

Came out OK and sounds better than the old one so I am calling it a win

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Nice work! Shed envy! Your 280z has come long way in your hands - well impressed.
72 240z plus bits

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:48 am

nustad wrote:Nice work! Shed envy! Your 280z has come long way in your hands - well impressed.
Ha cheers mate, yea shed is pretty handy!

B101

Post by B101 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Nice work man!!!! You must be happy with the outcome.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:37 pm

Top job - hmm love the diff mount change.....nice simple captive solution, love it. Must pop over and check out your shed sometime ;)

JonnySpeed
Z Club Member

Post by JonnySpeed » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Nice work and appreciate all the photos which act as inspiration. If you go through with your RB conversion I would be keen on your Mikuni's if you were looking to sell.

Cheers, Brendon

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:50 am

Summer is mint

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:23 pm

A280Z wrote:Summer is mint
She looks good!!! Will she make an appearance at Galaxy on Sunday?!
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:12 am

BRONZEE wrote:
A280Z wrote:Summer is mint
She looks good!!! Will she make an appearance at Galaxy on Sunday?!
Overseas on business at the moment so not much driving being done sadly!