What have you done to your car today?

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
Michael.Roberts

Post by Michael.Roberts » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Many things arrived the other week. :D

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:19 am

Just ordered a RH exterior door handle for my 350. $170ish new from the dealer which I'm fairly happy about, given the one (used) available on TradeMe was $225 + shipping :lol:
Those dang plastics..
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:24 am

Well to show I have actually made progress I got a new gear knob from the US for my 240z. Shaped the same as a stock one but wood finish a bit lighter. Still good to have one where the top plastic is clear rather than full of cracks......

Off ebay from Z-Car Depot. The ebay shipping is excellent. Very happy.
72 240z plus bits

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:59 pm

New door handle fitted today.. So shiny 8) and I can get in my car properly again!
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Delivered SAMURI to the paint shop today for a freshen up and to remove the results of a few years of Targas. Looks like I'm going to be busy putting it all back together again over the Christmas break.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:18 am

old_datto_fan wrote:Delivered SAMURI to the paint shop today for a freshen up and to remove the results of a few years of Targas. Looks like I'm going to be busy putting it all back together again over the Christmas break.
Will be worth it though, she'll look great with shiny new paint.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:34 am

Mike - can we have before, during and after photos?

Would be cool to see the progress.

Cheers

Glenn
72 240z plus bits

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Glenn,

I have some before ones but not detailed enough to show anything meaningful. Basically it is fixing stone chips along the guard edges, bottom of the doors and the sills, fixing the tops of the guards where stones have dented from underneath, fixing the front left guard after a small off road excursion a few years back. They were starting the prep yesterday afternoon so probably a bit late to get detailed shots now. I do have a pair of new guards and not sure if they are going to fix the existing ones or replace them.

Didn't really want to repaint the whole car but it's looking like that may happen as its only the roof, tailgate and maybe the bonnet that are going to be untouched. Will be a challenge for the painter to see how well they can blend the paint. Car spends most of it's life in the garage with a car cover on it so luckily the paint has not faded since it was done several years ago.

Best bit is that there is no rust to fix so hopefully the bank balance will not get hit too hard! I'm not aiming to get every last stone chip fixed as I want the car to be a driver rather than a show car.

I will see if I can get my panel/paint guy to get some shots before the paint gets done as I'm away all next week and hoping it will be done by the time I get back.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Today I finally removed the driveshaft and cv's from the LH side of the race car that had failed on the start line last week red flagging the race before 1 lap. First time the old girl had been flat decked off a racetrack.

I expected to see a stretched cv cage and ejected ball bearings etc. These half shafts are from Z31 turbo cars and have until this point served me well, the attached picture is what I found. I normally let the tyres spin slightly on a standing start and then back off the throttle and feel for traction. This time I must have found a well rubbered part of the track as there was no loss of traction the rear just gripped and the half shaft snapped. If we had run an ordinary plate LSD or locked diff the car may well have kept going but we run a ATB and as soon as there's no load on one side, there is no drive at all.

So maybe less loud pedal or is it time for a stronger half shaft? Anyone else had these half shafts fail on a L engined or moderately powered car?

Plus anyone got spares? This breakage will use up my only spare in this length.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:41 pm

you rough bitch. I have never broken a shaft !!! Give me a call i have spare shafts, just not the CVs. Sounds like you may be a candidate for the new improved half shaft mod.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:50 pm

Baker93 wrote:Sounds like you may be a candidate for the new improved half shaft mod.
Yup I reckon, will see how your upgrade works out. May have been a faulty shaft or maybe too many launches.

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Too much Jandal :)

limezed

Post by limezed » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:44 am

Andy wrote:
Baker93 wrote:Sounds like you may be a candidate for the new improved half shaft mod.
Yup I reckon, will see how your upgrade works out. May have been a faulty shaft or maybe too many launches.
Yeah definitely a faulty shaft Sounds like a warranty claim to me. Have you still got your receipt? "One old lady owner, only driven on weekends etc"

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Karljsw wrote:Too much Jandal :)
I don't think Andy's foot ever comes of the floor, in fact the last time I looked the pedal is formed into the floor pan :D

I vote for the warrantee claim
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Greensheep wrote:I vote for the warrantee claim
Yeah I'll give em a call tomorrow, tell em the car was brand new in mid 1972 and the part is no older than 1986, so should be ok. Car is only lightly modified and still has the original rear 1/4 windows, tail lights and indicator stalk.