Engine Tuning

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
RegWright

Engine Tuning

Post by RegWright » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:29 am

Hi everyone,
I've got a1981 280zx auto that I'm trying to pep up.Where can I get some tuning gear like cam and extractors. I live in the Pukekohe area. Regards Reg

djz

Post by djz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Change it to manual if you can, it'll make more difference than anything else.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:55 pm

Franklin Cam Services in Pukekohe have many grinds available as do Kelfords in Christchurch I probably also have a mild RR3 grind Cam here which would suit you. You need to keep the cam mild being street driven and an auto.
Extractors or headers are available from Custom Chambers who were in South Auckland or Stewart Wilkins Motorsport in Australia. There are other manufacturers but i have experience with both of these. You want headers with 1 5/8 Primaries, Secondaries of 2 1/4 with a 2 1/2 exhaust.
A bigger throttle body, cold air intake and good heat shielding is also a worthwhile investment.

But and here is the catch. Before i did any mods to a fuel injected auto 280 especially a cam i would change the ECU. The factory ECU is very basic and not a nice thing. Get yourself an aftermarket ECU, something like a Link. I prefer the Motec but they are expensive. I currently run a Link myself and it is fine but does have limitations. However you wont strike these in your application.
For a similar spec to what you may like contact Bernie Kant on this forum.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 pm

Not sure of the pipe sizes of these but may be a good option
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 238597.htm

Buster

Post by Buster » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:20 pm

old_datto_fan wrote:Not sure of the pipe sizes of these but may be a good option
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 238597.htm
Does anyone know if those would fit under the factory 280zx fuel injection?