Brake system question

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
Cohen_Brewerton

Brake system question

Post by Cohen_Brewerton » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 pm

My brakes system has been sitting with clamped hoses as I installed coil overs and replaced all the bushes, when I went to reinstall and bleed my brakes, all the fluid has disappeared and after trying to bleed the brake system, and no more air bubbles. There is still very little brake pressure. Is this a failed master cylinder??

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:59 pm

Heya, What vehicle? Are they factory brakes?

Could be many reasons, how old is the master?

Wheel cylinders could be leaking if it has drum brakes, try bleeding at a junction or better still block off the rear and see if you get pressure in front and vice versa this may help you track down the location of the problem.

Generally fluid on the wrong side of a master cylinder, slave cylinder or calliper piston will mean the item needs reconditioning or replacement.

Are you pedal bleeding with a helper? Make sure they're not stroking the master cylinder too far beyond its natural travel. If they have and its an old master cylinder it may have killed the seals.

Also try pressure bleeding so you're not relying on the master to build pressure.

If your system has been modified look for high points of brake lines that may form airlocks. Fix by re-routing or insert a bleed point.

Gravity bleeding for a couple hours or overnight will work on some systems (generally a brake system with lines that only rise from the wheel to the master), do one wheel at a time of course and make sure your reservoir is big enough to hold enough fluid.