RB71C gearbox

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
ConnorAnderson240z

RB71C gearbox

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me information on the RB71C gearbox?

Is this the same as the FS5W71C?

Will it bolt to a L series bellhousing?

Is it the same length as RB engine 71C boxes, so I could use a standard driveshaft in my 240z?

Thanks

merlin

Post by merlin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Doing the conversion in the next month. It will bolt up to the bell housing but the internals need a very small mod for the bearing. Drive shaft "should" be the same. I know someone that has done the swap and it was pretty much a bolt in fit all the way. The siliva gbox needs a few more mods to fit but the skyline g box seems to be easier.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Merlin is correct. I have one of these in my car with an L series bell housing, driveshaft fitted fine. We needed to mod the gearbox mount slightly but that was just to redrill a couple of holes and you wouldn't tell if you didn't know it was done.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:58 am

The "RB71C" box from a skyline/cefiro etc you refer to is a FS5W71C and fits in as discussed by the two previous replies, you are probably reading a cast marking (RP71C?) .

If you choose however to use the FS5W71C from a S13 or S14 Silvia/200sx the gearshift will sit in a better position in the vehicle, you will as well as the redrilled mount and bearing swap or bellhousing machine you will have to shorten the driveshaft. See here https://zclub.nz/viewtopic.php?t=143 for more definitive info posted by nzeder.

I have run with both boxes and because we upgraded the driveshaft to stop it breaking, we eventually chose the Silvia configuration.

The other advantage of the Silvia box is that you can buy more made to fit complete gear sets (having said that almost all except the output shaft and change rods are interchangeable within the C boxes).

Hope its not all too confusing? Ask again if you need to know more or confirm.

p.s. we also found that shortening the driveshaft seemed to great some vibration issues (on two different installs) so you may have to realign (pack) the diff and or the gearbox so the input and output shafts are exactly parallel.

ConnorAnderson240z

Post by ConnorAnderson240z » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks for your replies.

The gearbox was on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1187320208

It located in Balclutha (about an hour south of me), so if I could get it for a good price I was considering picking it up.
However, Its hard to get much info out of the seller, and i'm not keen on spending money on a box that could be stuffed.

I think i'll just wait untill a good condition box comes up for the right price.

Also, Andy I understand what your saying. I was curious about the change in angle of the driveshaft and if it would cause any issues.

At this point I'm still open to silvia or RB gearbox.

Thanks for your help guys

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:58 am

Condition will always be a gamble, you may have to kiss a frog or two and resell any box that needs synchros or bearings.

As far as alignment goes when we shortened the driveshaft. I placed a digital level on the vertical faces of the input flange of the diff and the rear of the gearbox casing then adjusted the diff angle to suit. There are many ways to do it and the gearbox can also be packed up or down. The centres of the gearbox output and the diff input shafts should not align but be parallel, i.e. the digital level should read the same in both positions. Does that help? Doesnt seem to be an issue with the longer shaft as although the alignment is still out in the factory install, there must be a harmonic somewhere that counteracts the mis-alignment. The difference in length is around 50mm IIRC.