Datsun 240z

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
The Joker

Datsun 240z

Post by The Joker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:39 pm

[font=Arial Black] [/font]
Hi all!

Whats the easiest way to get a 240z in NZ? Im after something in pieces or a rolling chasis so I can start a long term restoration build. Ive missed out on a few bodies here in New Zealand recently and I know from research its around $15k for one from japan in bad condition.

I have engine parts already, honestly only after a body, I found a 280Z but its not the same and it'll bother me. Also the 260z isn't the look I love, but I might go for a 260z build if a 240z isnt applicable.

Cheers.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:51 am

Reach out to as many people as you can. Eyes and ears open. getting hard to find now. keep bumping this post, from time to time till you find something. keep an eye on Trademe and any other classic car sale sites. You may have to look abroad.
Bernie Kant
Club President

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:48 pm

The Joker wrote:[font=Arial Black] [/font]
Hi all!

Whats the easiest way to get a 240z in NZ? Im after something in pieces or a rolling chasis so I can start a long term restoration build. Ive missed out on a few bodies here in New Zealand recently and I know from research its around $15k for one from japan in bad condition.

I have engine parts already, honestly only after a body, I found a 280Z but its not the same and it'll bother me. Also the 260z isn't the look I love, but I might go for a 260z build if a 240z isnt applicable.

Cheers.
How rough a body would you be happy with?? problem is you'll be paying shipping etc anyway from outside of NZ so better off getting a complete car for a bit more $$.
I do see bodies around in the US. A whole car but partially dismantled Z on ebay the otherday for $2800USD. All depends on how much you really want one....???

I've seen the prices go from $4kUSD cars that i bought 4-5years ago now going for $7-$8KUSD. similar story here but multiply the figures accordingly.
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:09 pm

The Joker wrote:[font=Arial Black] [/font]
I found a 280Z but its not the same and it'll bother me. Also the 260z isn't the look I love, but I might go for a 260z build if a 240z isnt applicable.
Cheers.
The later bodies and particularly the S30,S31 280Z/Fairlady (some with the bear claw door catches) are better bodies. They have almost the same side profile apart from the front apron. they have a wider transmission tunnel (more room for your custom exhaust), better gearbox mounts (higher and easier to run a big exhaust under), deeper chassis rails(harder to crush), better airflow through the radiator (wider mouth, better cooling). Swapping the taillights, bumpers, front apron and removing the side repeaters I would defy anyone to tell the difference without closer examination. If you are going to modify for road or race I would pick the last of the model and work back through the vehicle if you choose to lighten it. The doors particularly on the later model are extra heavy but they do make a better noise and feel better when they close, most of the weight in the later doors are huge side impact beams, the earlier cars have a very small "side impact beam" that are just a little thicker and as much use as baking foil.

Sure choose the 240Z, the earlier the better, if you want to do a faithful restore and get more appreciation or more of your money back when you sell it..... but if you want a stancy hot rod or a race car pick the later 2 seater bodies.

The Joker

Post by The Joker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:56 pm

280zx coupe,......

Is this worth my time?

$2,000....... The reason I dislike it is because I love the rear quarter lights (smaller version ones better, these are not as appealing to me) its a 280zx dead plates, engine running.

Is it worth reselling after I work on it?

Im thinking of buying, working on it, then selling it to finance for a 240z body.

I just want a body with working engine $2800USD is a good price for something I adore, but I dont know much about these cars yet.

Is this 280zx worth put $3000 or so in?

Its a coupe L28 1979.

I dont know how to insert photos ?

Cheers.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:27 am

quite different beasts.....are you wanting a Z or a ZX? like chalk and cheese to me!
I have a 240Z being loaded in california right now. There are lots of mint 280ZX's in USA but LHD of course.

If it's a 240Z you say you adore then a 280ZX wouldn't cut i'd say??

The Joker

Post by The Joker » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:48 am

badhabit wrote:quite different beasts.....are you wanting a Z or a ZX? like chalk and cheese to me!
I have a 240Z being loaded in california right now. There are lots of mint 280ZX's in USA but LHD of course.

If it's a 240Z you say you adore then a 280ZX wouldn't cut i'd say??
What Im thinking is ill try and make some money on the 280zx and then Ill look for a 240z later. Just because I thought it was a good opportunity, nice car.

I was mostly wondering if its worth sinking $5k into a 280zx, like how much would a nice one sell for in NZ? I saw a mint 280z 2+2 on trademe for $13k, but It seems people like the Coupe better.....

The 280zx was almost an investment for now to get my hands dirty, get my hands on a Z to see the ins and outs....... Almost like a practice car to stuff up on before I get the one I want.

Mainly Im asking you guys if its worth getting or just save my money investment wise?

Also arent the american 240z's left hand drive?

Cheers,.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:01 pm

My opinion is pass on the ZX unless they are actually a shape you really like.

Yes the US spec Z's are LHD. but less likely to be rotten. it's a payoff vs the cost of a RHD car i guess.
I've watched the values of early Z's climb quickly all over the world in the last few years but the later ones seem to not have the following the early ones do. better engineering for sure but the style got a bit lost.
I guess after the early Z's the others are just an after thought....my opinion anyway but hey different strokes......

DKNWSZX

Post by DKNWSZX » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:30 pm

You will find that in 5-10 years time the later model Zeds 280, 300 will soon climb in value. It might be worth taking the gamble on a 280 as an investment as I can put money on it that you definately will not lose out even on a LHD.

Obviosuly the 240z as mentioned has a real following, better engineering, the spirit of the Z cars etc, but remember they are also a lot older than the later model Z so in most cases less of them around, which tends to bring higher demand prices as per the supply and demand.

You will also find that if you look back say 15-20 years ago and said to car enthusiasts that Japanese cars will one day become collectors items you would have been looked at sideways and laughed at from some motor vehicle circles. Now we are really starting to see a peaked interest in earlier Japanese vehicles as time goes by.

It's completely up to you and your decision, but remember if you choose the 280 as an investment, the 240 is only going to increase in price unless you manage to be a complete tin bum and stumble across a barn find in NZ and get it at a steal. Well that's my dream anyhow of being able to own one.

Reagards
Deano
Good things are worth waiting for, but great things happen at once.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:27 pm

If you want an investment, don't buy a car. Go and buy some shares. Its true that the 240 and the 260 are gaining in value, but all the guys I know spend good money maintaining them. We Z lovers buy our cars because we love the cars. Be they 240,260,280zx up to the 350. My advise, forget the investment and buy what you like. Use it the way you enjoy. Be it garaging and shining or as a Sunday cruiser.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:06 pm

DKNWSZX wrote:You will also find that if you look back say 15-20 years ago and said to car enthusiasts that Japanese cars will one day become collectors items you would have been looked at sideways and laughed at from some motor vehicle circles. Now we are really starting to see a peaked interest in earlier Japanese vehicles as time goes by.
I am in agreement, after watching a few classic sites, the American and Euro 2 door and low volume car market is up and down but the 2 door and low volume early japanese vehicles are rocketing up and do not stay on the market for long, we are at the bottom of a rapid and radical increase in their value.

merlin

Post by merlin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:46 pm

If you want an investment in a car try a 1962 Ferrari 250GTO. Nick Mason (from Pink Floyd ) bought his for 34k? in the 70s. His family mocked him and thought what a colossal waste of money. They are not laughing now. last one sold for around $48 Million