Thinking about 240z from Auz. Any advice?

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
havanother

Thinking about 240z from Auz. Any advice?

Post by havanother » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi, I had to sell my 240z when I went overseas. Biggest mistake I ever made. So now I'm back for good, I've been looking for another one. But it seems nobody's selling. Unless you count the two $40,000 Zs that have been on and off Trademe for the last year. 40k seems a bit steep to me - even if they were mint, which they aren't. So in desperation I've turned to the slightly larger market next door. I might be able to get a pretty rung out but basically sound 240 for 10k. I'm thinking 5k to get it shipped, 1k to service mechanicals, maybe 6k to do the paint at some point. But even if it cost $15k to get it here and get it roadworthy and running nice, it'd still be a good investment vs. the 40k cars are demanding here.

Do those numbers bear any resemblance to reality? Good idea/bad idea? Does anyone have any experience with shipping a 40 year old car from Auz to NZ? How hard is it to register a car here? I did some reading and it looks like the z won't have to pass the safety and emissions tests - as if it could, but the sites I've visited don't give any human insight. They don't tell you what the actual importation and registering process is really like - and if it's worth the hassle.

Any advice much appreciated.

If the consensus is that it's feasible and worthwhile, I'll post some pics of my potential 'barn find'. Then I'll be after some restoration advice :)

marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:11 pm

LHD aside, if you're going to pay for shipping and compliance/vin, then you may as well look as far as the states. This is because they still seem to be pretty expensive in Aus/UK/Japan, but come up very cheap regularly from the states.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:24 pm

Its been a few years now since i even looked at what it costs to import a Zee but i do remember being appalled at the cost and quality of cars in Aussie versus the USA. Yes you'd have to deal with having a LHD car but theyre just so much cheaper! I swear i remember seeing cars listed for 5-10k that wouldve cost 5x that much here or in aussie. Cars in california that pretty much just need some small rust repairs or maybe a new paint job and they're going for pennies. Add to that the fact that because american muscle is so popular here there are tonnes of companies that will literally inspect it for you in the states, put it in a container and get it through customs all the way to your doorstep for like $2500. My cars an american import and it was in pretty good condition. I dont know how much it cost to import coz i didnt bring it over, but considering how much i payed for it here id say it was WELL worth importing. My firm opinion, buy from the states. Unless you cant live with LHD. Which is actually pretty annoying after you've owned the car a few years and the novelty wears off lol. But thats a whole nutha story.
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:33 pm

I agree with the last two posts, go for a later model 280Z from the West Coast USA, closest to LA the cheaper for local transport.

Online Logistics will help you with a Californian import, be brave and do a container load (4 cars stacked with Online Logistics racks) which can help heaps with halving the import cost. LHD is ok, can't think of many easier cars to convert than a early Z.... OK a McLaren F1 is easier. Sell off the spare three cars, GST will be next to nothing because the price you have paid will be under US$3000 per car.

You dont have to comply the cars straight away, make sure you visit to buy and look for rust and previous damage to make NZ compliance easier.
Last edited by Andy on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:47 pm

http://www.kiwishipping.co.nz/CarsAndPa ... gItChecked

The owners of Kiwi Shipping were long time customers of mine when i used to work at the Harley dealership in Wellington. They were always offering to sort out a Z for me in Cali back when it was still just a pipe dream. Their company is the most helpful I've heard of for a kiwi wanting to bring home an American car. If you're serious about wanting a Z and not wanting to pay NZ prices id recommend having a look at their website.
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

marrow

Post by marrow » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:26 am

Wouldnt even need to shell out to fill a container and sell them off. I bet you could find another 3 people on this forum/facebook who'd go quarters in a containerload with you ;)

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:56 am

While importing a car from USA initially looks like a good idea, in my opinion it only makes sense if you are going to be satisfied with the condition it is in when you land it. The minute you start refurbishing parts or modifying for performance then the cost rapidly increases to the point where you would be better off buying one of those $40,000 cars that has probably already had lots of $$$ thrown at it and is a RHD car so will be worth a lot more in the NZ market.

Having just done a quick browse of Craigslist/Ebay in California there are plenty of $3000 cars but few of them show you the underneath/floors so you are likely to have rust issues. Nice cars seem to be going for around the US$10K mark and that is going to work out at around NZ$20K by the time you ship it, pay GST, compliance etc.

I used Kiwi Shipping to import both the Datsun Roadster and the 280Z I bought in a few years ago and was very happy with their performance. In both cases they stacked the cars with 3 others in a container so the cost wasn't too bad.

And Andy, converting either an MGB or a Mini (original shape) from LHD to RHD is far easier than converting a 240Z!

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42 pm

old_datto_fan wrote: And Andy, converting either an MGB or a Mini (original shape) from LHD to RHD is far easier than converting a 240Z!
Yes you're right unfortunately at the end you still have a Mini or an MGB :-)

Agree with most of the rest of your post, one should visit and not buy from pictures and yes a $40k kiwi makes economic sense but often in the end it is still someone elses car, which suits some buyers but I think many fans of the older models either want to make the car their own or like me need "the fix" therapy. Tidy kiwi cars need to be exported to get a decent percentage return on the money spent on restoration/modification.

marrow

Post by marrow » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:24 pm

All good points.
Also if anyone is interested that kiwishipping calculator came out at about 3700 using the 240z weight and dimensions.

ZYX

Post by ZYX » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 pm

I have a 280zx 2 seater T-Top that has about that amount spent on it, and would sell it for considerably less................
My restoration will be finished in time for the next meet. Really. No, REALLY. Maybe......

havanother

Post by havanother » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:27 pm

havanother

Post by havanother » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:34 pm

havanother

Post by havanother » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:43 pm

So, this is the car I was talking about. And why I was asking about importing from Auz to NZ. The owner is more or less giving it to me because it doesn't work and isn't worth the effort. I will give him some money obviously. I figured even in current state it must be worth 10k. Then I was thinking of shipping it. MEL to WLG. Then mechanicals. Then paint. And now I look at it, some interior work is required. I don't want to get it to show car standard. Just everyday driver.

So what do you guys reckon? Worth the hassle? Worth the cost?

I HAVE looked at the US cars and drooled at the prices. But I can't get round the left hand drive issue. I've driven lefties in the States etc but going from one to the other all the time would get confusing. Plus, should worst come to worst, like last time, a rightie would have a good resale value no?

Thanks for your thoughts so far!

Nick

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Get it

limezed

Post by limezed » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:37 pm

Budget for $10k purchase, $5k shipping and on road, $15k panel and paint, $5k mechanicals and your easily at $35k for a 260z. Maybe more with interior etc.

So you can see how a good clean 240z is asking $40k. Even if they are more common, they are still commanding higher prices.

That said you can spread a resto job over many years and get a lot of enjoyment and experience doing it.

Good luck with it. It's good to have them coming into the country instead of heading out.