Hi There

New to the site? Say hello here!
Freeman

Hi There

Post by Freeman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:24 am

Hi there,

My son has recently been gifted a 1979 Nissan Fairlady Z. I believe it has a L20 engine in it. It is in need of restoration but is fairly straight. Just wondering if anyone knows where to get workshop manuals for these cars and if anyone has any recommendations about restoration tips etc. my son who is 15 wants to upgrade the engine to a bigger displacement etc. any recommendations on the ideal engine? Or any more info on the current engine would be great. Any ideas help would be much appreciated :wink:

djz

Post by djz » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:30 pm

Is it a white 2 seater? An L28 would be the easiest swap, the L20s aren't worth bothering with. Anything is possible with engine swaps though, there isn't much that won't fit in the engine bay, RB engines are a common conversion as well.

Haynes manuals are available for the 280ZX but don't cover the L20 engine specifically. The factory Nissan manuals are the best and pop up on Trademe from time to time.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Yep L28 would certainly be the easest way to go. Might take a bit of effort to find one. They are the popular choice most are now sitting in 240,s and 260,s. If you get a L28 get the fuel injection manifold and computer as well. The rest should change over.
Bernie Kant
Club President

jp280

Post by jp280 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Welcome to the frums :)
The Nissan factory manuals are great, there are 2 available one for the car itself and one for the L-series engine. An L28 engine would be the cheapest engine swap, but I suspect if your planning to modify the engine in the future it would be easier to find aftermarket parts for the RB engines (wish I had gone that route)